BATTERIES

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Paul : Go to JC Whitney and purchase yourself a "Belt Tightening Tool".  It's about $10!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Paul: Another tip I wrote up years ago was how to keep the alternator adjustment in place. 
Check the length of the bolts on the adjustment arm and you'll find that the if you use a longer bolt there are more threads to keep it tight!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

n624ma

Ron, I can't find it at JC Whitney anymore!
But for twice the price $19.67 MSC Direct still has it,  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/35438209

Joseph Rheubeck

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Set2sea on July 30, 2013, 06:40:09 AM
Thanks for the golf battery explanation Stu.

Now hopefully she can retain that belt tension. I do have the upgraded alternator bracket. The bracket is so narrow and the slot is so close to the end, there isn't a lot of surface area for the screw to grab, hence the large fender washer. Going to search for keeping the alternator where you want it, as I'm sure it's been written up : )

Paul, glad to help.  If you go back to the Critical Upgrades, and after you purchase your alternator belt tensioner, read about the alternator pivot bolts,  here:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg47017.html#msg47017

Hope you had a great cruise.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have also used a small ratcheting bar clamp from harbor freight. You can reverse one of the clamp arms and it turns into a spreader. Worked for me.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : The longer (only by about 1/4"-1/2" ) bolts are for the adjust arm, not the thru bolt for the pivot point on the top of the alternator. 
That pivot bolt should only be threaded about an inch from the end!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788