Battery charger settings for AGM batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,

Last thing yesterday , just before leaving the marine and going north for a week. I found out that my two Gel batteries were shot.  So to save not going, I went down and purchased two of the same size AGM batteries.

In see from some other post that wet cell was the way to go.

Anyway, the battery charger has two setting, flooded or Gel.  I have received conflicting advice on which setting to use.  One post said I should get a different battery charger with an AGM setting.  That can't happen until at least middle on next week.

Advice welcome,
Thanks,
Bob

Stu Jackson

Bob, go to www.balmar.net and download or read the MC-612 or 614 alternator regulator installation manuals.  One of the pages has the different programs they use for charging voltages for AGMs and all other battery types.  Then decide what you want to do.  IIRC, AGMs and wet cells are pretty close.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Solstice

Quote from: Bob Mobley on July 19, 2013, 05:02:13 PM
Hi,

Last thing yesterday , just before leaving the marine and going north for a week. I found out that my two Gel batteries were shot.  So to save not going, I went down and purchased two of the same size AGM batteries.

In see from some other post that wet cell was the way to go.

Anyway, the battery charger has two setting, flooded or Gel.  I have received conflicting advice on which setting to use.  One post said I should get a different battery charger with an AGM setting.  That can't happen until at least middle on next week.

Advice welcome,
Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
You definitely want to set it for Flooded until you sort out a long term solution. The Gel setting has a much higher charge rate than either wet or AGM's...good luck and enjoy your cruise....

Ron Hill

Bob : I agree that that you set it for flooded, until you call the manufacturer of your battery charger. Get the answer from him rather than us!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Bob, at the risk of both repeating myself and correcting an issue, gels charge at LOWER voltages than wet cells.  Please, check out the link I suggested.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Solstice

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 20, 2013, 09:18:43 AM
Bob, at the risk of both repeating myself and correcting an issue, gels charge at LOWER voltages than wet cells.  Please, check out the link I suggested.

Of course Stu is correct, the charging profile is lower for a gel. Should have previewed before posting  :oops:

Ron Hill

Guys : We all know that the charging voltage is different than for flooded, Gel and AGM batteries! That's why most battery charges have a 3 position switch!!  

Bobs' charger only has 2 positions (Flooded & Gel) and only the manufacturer of his charger can tell him which of the two positions is most compatible with AGM batteries or what he should do with AGMs and his charger!?!  

Ron, Apache #788