Thanks

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

We said good bye to Serendipity this week.  As much as we loved her, the only thing we could not do to improve her was to make her bigger.  With two teenage girls and two dogs, we needed more room in order to do the cruising we want to do together as a family.  So, we are the happy owners of a 2004 C387, which I think is going to serve us well.  But the C34 is a great boat and we have a lot of happy memories of our time with her. 

I want to express my sincere thanks to all who make this such a great site.  We left Serendipity a far better boat than we found her but it was only because of the shared wisdom of all those who contribute here.  I know I am going to continue to return just because of the great sailing and general boat ownership knowledge to be found here. 

Fair winds,

Clay Greene
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Congratulations on your new boat, and thanks for all your contributions over the years.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Clay,

Congratulations on the purchase of a new-to-you Catalina.  Did you pass on the name of the new owner to Stu such that we can keep the boat in the C34IA fold?  I have said on more than one occasion that Catalina should have a stainless steel plaque inside the nav station say that when you sell your boat both you and the new owner will get a gift from Catalina for updating the records.  Owner's records are an extremely valuable resource.  

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

ghebbns

I have been meaning to post a "thank you" post as well but have been so busy I just keep putting it off.  Unlike Clay, however, I am just joining the C34 family.

I purchased "Sabbatica" last Fall.  I knew there was a fair bit of work to do, but I never guessed it would take so long (the old adage that everything takes 3 times longer than you expect certainly was true for me).  After more hours than I want to calculate, she finally went in the water last Friday (July 12).  As she was on the hard when I bought her, it is always a nerve wracking experience to see a boat splash for the first time.  As luck would have it she floated and the engine went into gear with no problems.

We spent most of the Saturday getting her geared up and went for a very short shake-down sail.  We left the dock at 8:15am on Sunday morning to move her to her permanent home roughly 42 nautical miles away.  For anyone that is familiar with Nova Scotia we were going from Shining Waters Marina in St.Margaret's Bay to Armdale Yacht Club in Halifax.  The first 2 hours were spent under power as there was no wind.  I was happy with the performance - 5.5-6 knots at about 2300 rpm.  Once we rounded the corner at Peggy's Cove, we pulled out the sails.  We were doing between 4.5 and 5.5 knots with around 10 knots of wind (pretty much on a broad reach).  

As we entered Halifax Harbour, the wind picked up to around 15 knots and we were on a beam reach.  It was at this moment that all the work became worthwhile.  We were consistently over 7 knots (gps speed) and hit 7.5.  I was towing an inflatable and I have never seen itplow water like it was.  I am convinced we would have hit 8 knots if we didn't have it.  There was a new model Beneteau 40 by us and we passed it like it was anchored.  I know we weren't racing but it sure made me feel good  :D .

We tied up at our slip at 4:15 after an amazing first day on board.  I still have a ton of work to do (mostly inside) but having her home makes it so much easier.

Getting back to the original reason for this message, a huge thanks to all that contribute to this board.  There is absolutely no way I would have been able to get Sabbatica ready without this resource.  I have been sailing since I was 10 months old (I will be 44 this August) and I can honestly say I have learned more in the last 6 months about boating than I did in the previous 43 years!!  But this is just the start, I am certain I will have many more questions over the coming months and years.

Take care,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ron Hill

Congratulations to both Clay and Greg!!

I wish both of you - Fair Winds
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Quote from: claygr on July 19, 2013, 09:56:36 AM
We said good bye to Serendipity this week.  As much as we loved her, the only thing we could not do to improve her was to make her bigger.  With two teenage girls and two dogs, we needed more room in order to do the cruising we want to do together as a family.  So, we are the happy owners of a 2004 C387, which I think is going to serve us well.  But the C34 is a great boat and we have a lot of happy memories of our time with her. 

I want to express my sincere thanks to all who make this such a great site.  We left Serendipity a far better boat than we found her but it was only because of the shared wisdom of all those who contribute here.  I know I am going to continue to return just because of the great sailing and general boat ownership knowledge to be found here. 

Fair winds,

Clay Greene

I have two sons and two dogs...

Maybe we can work out a deal?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Clay Greene

I will send Stu a message with the new owner's contact information.  I could not have been more enthusiastic about the importance of this site and the C34IA so hopefully he will join soon. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Many, many thanks to Clay for sending us Mike's contact information.  I sent him a C34IA welcome message, personalized somewhat knowing Clay, and heard back from him almost immediately. 

As you can imagine, with a weekend going on, he's in 7th heaven, and we all look forward to seeing him and his family here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."