Cruising to Bahama's

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

We are considering taking our boat south to Florida - Bahama's.
Does anyone have any comments regarding the size and seaworthiness of the 34 for extended cruising south ?
Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Ron Hill

Andrew : You have a nice boat in a C34 for going "South".  We have at least 5 boats in Fleet 12 that have made the trip down, back over to the Bahamas.

I can attest to the adequate living conditions onboard as we left Virginia in September and returned the next May.

Sturdy boat and you can be assured that the 1st Mate will never be more than 34 ft away - unless she climbs the mast.

Good Planning!
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Andrew and all
look up turftosurf.com
a blog on a young couple who have done just that on their C34 Hideaway.
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

waterdog

I have taken a C34 South down the other coast.   Current flows in the right direction on the left coast, but still gave it a fair test.   It will hold up at least as well as you do.    I did a pretty extensive refit and somewhere on this site posted about what worked and what didn't.   You might want to think about a new engine for a trip like that...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stephen Butler

We have sailed both coasts, out to about 50 nm, and have been caught a few times in heavy weather.  The C34 handles these conditions very well.  Would suggest a few things to check based on our own experiences: If your front hatch is crazed, get it replaced; make sure the batteries are strapped down; make sure the fuel tank is clean; secure everything; install from the cockpit reefing if not already done.  Have a great trip! 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Andrew,

While I have never done it, many of the 34s in our area (SE Florida) make the hop to the Bahamas every year.  Joe Turner, who recently sold Lovepat, his 34, spent extensive time there.  Race week in the Abacos is popular with our sailing club, the Hillsboro Inlet Sailing Club.  I will pass this thread on to Paul Chasse who has cruised extensively aboard his 34, Cheerios.  I am sure he will post tips to make your cruise much more enjoyable.

If you do get down to the south east coast of Florida, be sure and let me know.  We have formed Fleet 14 here.  I can introduce you to other 34 owners in Merritt Island, Port St. Lucie, Lighthouse Point (where we keep Esprit du Vent), and the Key Biscayne area.  If nothing else we can have drinks, a meal, and chew the fat for a bit.

Fair Winds and a Comfortable Sea,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waterdog on July 19, 2013, 06:49:18 PMI did a pretty extensive refit and somewhere on this site posted about what worked and what didn't. 

Andrew, here's Steve's 1500 Mile trip report and followup:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 21, 2013, 10:35:26 AM

Andrew, here's Steve's 1500 Mile trip report and followup:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html

Wow Stu, I just read that report.   I want to do it again.   Can we borrow your minivan and laundry facilities when we hit the Bay area?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Andrew Harvey

Thank's for the replies.
Very encouraging.
Maybe a year or two off.
The re power has taken a toll on the boat unit ($)resources
Andrew Harvey

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waterdog on July 22, 2013, 12:41:32 AM

Wow Stu, I just read that report.   I want to do it again.   Can we borrow your minivan and laundry facilities when we hit the Bay area?

Sure, Steve, anytime.  I should remind you, or advise you that is, that we have moved since you last visited, still in the Bay Area, still have the boat (OEM engine, too  :D).  No pool in this place, apologies to Scupper and Foster. :thumb:  I should be somewhat more cogent this time, unless the plate in the leg breaks yet again.   :?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,
There is also a couple who sailed there C34 from Quebec, Canada, down to Florida through the ICW.  Went to the bahamas and are now in Grenade.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

captran

took Voyager to the Bahamas, 8 to 10 weeks every summer 2001-05.  Abacos mostly, with one trip down t the Exumas.  The wing keel was very helpful getting in to a few places.  For the Exumas we carried six gallons of extra fuel, although we could have gotten by OK.  Boat handled it very well, even some rough water between Chub Cays and Nassau.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

PK

We are recently back from a year cruise from San Francisco to Mexico for 6 months and back to San Diego.  The boat can handle it, plenty of space for two a paddle board, kayak, dinghy, spares etc... (remember to raise the waterline!)  Like Steve we spent a fair amount of $$ prior to leaving, but it was all worth it.  I think about the trip every day.  Be careful it may ruin your ability to go back to work and not day dream all day.

http://pksadventures.blogspot.com/

Roc

Friends have cruised down the ICW and to the Bahamas in a Beneteau 332.  Smaller and lighter than a C34.  They did it the past 2 winters.  I think regardless of the boat, you want to pick the right weather window.  From what I hear, you wait in Miami (with others doing the same thing), and go when the time is right.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

ken003

Andrew,   

We've done the Bahamas 3 times.  The c34 is a good boat for this.  Size and seaworthiness are fine.  As already stated, make sure your engine is running good and wait for weather windows.

It is funny standing ashore looking out at a crowed anchorage in the Bahamas, our boat is always one of the smallest. 

Ken