Blackdragon Top End Work

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 18, 2013, 08:04:10 AM
Steve : WOW!! Talk about one thing leading to another....!!

I was surprised to see that your riser was black pipe.  There's nothing wrong with black pipe, it just doesn't l have the longevity of stainless.

Don't blame Stu as I'm the one that gets after C34owners when I see a bronze colored hose!

I don't know how many hours you have on your engine, but when I ran into trouble with my engine it had 5000hrs (21 years old).  After I removed it the second time our friendship began to wane!!  That's why the third time was enough (October & end of season) - hence a new engine.

If you did remove the oil pan I still recommend that people move the oil drain to the rear of the pan.

Good Job and hope that all goes well for years to come.   My thoughts

I don't blame Stu, I am just having some fun.   All my hoses are the right colour now!   Although, I have to say the last bronze one I tossed yesterday seemed very robust and in good condition.   I am pretty sure that is stainless exhaust - definitely black from a leak under the wrap.   All my exhaust hose is dated 2005, I would guess the riser was done at the same time.   Still solid everywhere and weld at the nipple looks good.   I too am deeply questioning my friendship with the M25XP at this time.  

Big question on the oil pan now.   I did not have time to pull the pan, and because of potential contamination, couldn't rely on trying to suck out the hose or dipstick tube so I undid the fitting and drained into little containers.   I then put a litre of oil in and drained and repeated. (kind of like 3 oil changes but using only six litres)  Oil came out absolutely clear so I am wondering of it is really an issue of the fitting preventing the inserted suction tube from getting all the way down and if the threaded fitting at the top with a sealed connection to a pump hose might not be the way to go?  
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

lazybone

I just love your attitude.

Oh and by the way, It would make an awesome coffee table at home.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Andrew Harvey

Steve,
Interesting that the Canadian Beta dealer is in BC.
Key factors are price, availability, same Kubota block will fit on same mounts, includes new transmission.
The layout is a little different in terms of maintenance.
The dipstick is on top of the engine, I will no longer fear for my life when I extract the dipstick across the back of the alternator and watch the sparks fly!
There is an oil pump out on top the engine. Fuel filter is at the front. Apparently the engine is very efficient as well.
I expect to be up and running next week with the new 30HP.
Will keep you posted.
Andrew

Andrew Harvey

Jeff Tancock

Steve, I would think that the shaft alignment is the least of your worries. I've done mine a few times ( when I put in a PSS, when I changed out the engine mounts and when I had the strut replaced) and you are way past my comfort level with what you've done. I'll watch for you in the Islands as I will be out there the week after July 27th.....
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

Steve : The only reason that I mentioned Black Pipe is because of the screw-on 90 degree elbow (nipple).  

The only stainless risers that I've seen are all welded to a plane 90 degree bent pipe elbow.  
Didn't know they made screw on 90 degree stainless elbows!!  

Guess you learn something everyday!!
Ron, Apache #788