Diesel Generator

Previous topic - Next topic

kayadakota

Back on December 27, I posted this topic and asked for opinions in regards to quiet gen-sets.  I now know why there wasn't a great deal of opinions.  No one has ever put a 4KW diesel generator on a C34.  After numerous calls, including to a lead designer at Catalina, my Yacth broker(Sail Annapolis), and every manufacturer, it can't be done or so they said.  A&B Yacthsman out of Annapolis(they also did my Awlgrip hull painting) came up with a solution.  Kohler makes the smallest and lightest 4KW generator on the market.  They built me a custom locker, cuttting through the aft cabin into the compartment where the steering quadrant is located.  With a dry exhaust system, optional sound shield, through hull, intake strainer, shore power/gen selector switch, battery and breaker, the whole project with installation was close to 13,000.

The "Kaya Dakota" #1589 first to have a 4KW diesel generator!

Stu Jackson

David & Heather

Congratulations.

It sure would be helpful if you have pictures of your installation to get them to Mark Elkin, the C34 Associate Webmaster for Projects.  He would be pleased to post your project on the C34 website for everyone to see.

Thanks,

Stu
C34 IA Secretary
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dprice

Cruising World had 2 interesting articles this month on this/related topic.  

One was the installion of a Sterling Powered GenSet.  Only 750 Watts but designed to run almost continously as it is supposed to be very quiet.  www.victronenergy.com was the company.

The other was on a Catalina 42 that is being built to demonstrate the use of a Fuel Cell for aux power and elec. power requirements.