2ndwish

Apologies to Ken...

How many times have you hit your head on this:

a) Never
b) Fool me once...
3) huh?

added to title for searching purposes - Stu

Stu Jackson

Almost every time... :cry4`  I keep thinking about buying a pool noodle and working something out.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

The more the better.  If you had used post a new poll rather than post a new topic you could actually tally the votes :)  We usually sleep in the aft cabin so I'm trained to know when to duck.  Have more problems with the top of the door frame coming out of the Vee berth, especially if I'm wearing a hat :(
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I threatened to make my wife wear a motor cycle helmet on board.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

I finally trained myself to go into "hunchback mode" anytime I enter the aft cabin.

Now... If I could just remember to ALWAYS push the sliding hatch all the way in so I don't crush my head coming up the ladder into the cockpit sometimes. :shock:   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

More times then I care to count.   :rolling
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ed Shankle

Actually, it's my back that I hit climbing out of the berth!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Jim Hardesty

Why not sleep, or what ever you are doing  :D , in the v-berth?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mregan

After banging my head a couple of times, I let my kids sleep back there.  Now I bang my head in the V-berth shelf climbing into the bunk.

TonyP

Almost always if I have a cap on. 
And I am the same as Kevin with the sliding hatch not fully open
I must be in that much of a hurry enjoying myself.
Will I ever learn???

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ron Volk

We sleep back there and don't have a problem as we usually turn and sit down before sliding in.  I can see if your bending over and leading with your head to grab something stowed back there it would happen. I do have that (hatch not open all the way) problem though, especially in the morning I'll get up and pull the hatch open but not all the way and the first time up the ladder, bang, hopefully sometime I'll learn even though my wife doubts it.

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mregan on July 09, 2013, 11:55:55 AM
After banging my head a couple of times, I let my kids sleep back there.  Now I bang my head in the V-berth shelf climbing into the bunk.

My kid "got" the V berth when we first bought the boat.  For a looong time he was "out of boating" and we moved up there.  Now that he's back "into" sailing, I get the aft cabin when he and I go out.  As a result, we store our cushions athwartships as far back as they'll go, even though it would be much easier to store them lengthwise for getting them in and out.  That allows me to sleep at the forward position in the aft cabin without moving too much stuff, if any, in the "garage" back there.  The three of us haven't gone out together for at least a few years, and when we did, he slept aft.

Maybe I don't understand you "banging your head in the V berth shelf" because we sleep with our feet forward.  The Mark I boats have great "nightstands" on the tops of the drawers to port and the hanging locker to starboard.  I bunch two pillows up against the forward end of those for reading.  Could it be that you go in head first and then turn around?  I always felt getting out of the V berth is harder than getting in.  I recall one post where a skipper used one of those small plastic step stools to shorten the "jump" down from the V berth to the sole. 

Good news:  the C34 still has the LARGEST V berth of ANY sailboat in her class.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 09, 2013, 08:09:56 PM

Good news:  the C34 still has the LARGEST V berth of ANY sailboat in her class.  :D

Hi,

To be the biggest and largest, you bet.  That has been one big issue for us buying the C34 compare to other boats when we were shopping.
We had plenty of room in the C34 V berth.
And last winter when we stored the boat on the hard, the boat was stored with a slit angle with the front being higher.  So when we were sleeping in the boat for preparation, we were sleeping side way in the V bert, and I'm 6ft.   Try this on an other boat  :clap
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 09, 2013, 08:09:56 PM

Maybe I don't understand you "banging your head in the V berth shelf" because we sleep with our feet forward.  The Mark I boats have great "nightstands" on the tops of the drawers to port and the hanging locker to starboard.  I bunch two pillows up against the forward end of those for reading.  Could it be that you go in head first and then turn around?  I always felt getting out of the V berth is harder than getting in.  I recall one post where a skipper used one of those small plastic step stools to shorten the "jump" down from the V berth to the sole. 

I do go in head first then turn around.  Always bang my head on the front of the shelf.  I find getting out to be pretty easy.  Easier than on my C-30.  I always found as I was sliding off I was banging into the doorway.  Much more room now in the v-berth.

Bobg

I double backed taped one of those blue foam 1" floating mats, cut it to fit. And I always sleep crossways in the V Berth, When the little women comes, she crawls over me and sleeps sideways too.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands