Wiring at base of mast

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I have 2 reds 3 yellows and a green
The wires in the mast naturally are not the same colors
Any idea which of the 3 lights they match up with
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

mregan

What do you have coming out of the mast?  I had red/white/black coming down together in a triplex cable and a red/black in a duplex cable.  Red/black went to the anchor light, triplex cable went to the steaming/deck light. 

I would think your red and green are your positive and yellow is negative.  Pull the elec. panel and see what colors are coming from the anchor, steaming, deck switches.

Ken Juul

Get out your trusty multimeter.  The "+" leads will not have continuity when both are touched.  The "+" and "-" (or ground) will, assuming the bulbs are good.  So if mregan is correct, touching the multimeter leads to the reds will give you 0.  Touching a red or green and a yellow will give you continuity.  Then you only have to figure out which wires go to which light which is just trial and error.  I'd wait to the evening, it's easier to see the lights then.  

If you don't yet own a multimeter, it is invaluable for troubleshooting.  They are not that expensive and you can probably find a dock mate that can show you how to use it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Cliff : Take ken's suggestion with the multi meter.  You can also check continuity (ohms) by pulling the main electrical panel and taking a jumper wire from the particular panel switch to the wire at the base of the mast.

You might also look at page 4.2.2 of your Catalina Owners Manual.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788