Mainsheet size and spinlock Cam Cleat

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I've attached a photo to show my current configuration but here are the details.
I have the original clam cleat for my mainsheet directly next to the clutches for the halyard and spinnaker lines.  
I have a Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang
I measured my mainsheet and it appears to be 1/2" in diameter.

I would like to replace the clam cleat with either the spinlock PXR0810
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-US/cleats/pxr-cam-cleats/pxr-cam-cleat-for-precision-control-of-lines-8-10mm

Or the Spinlock PXR0810/T  
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-US/cleats/pxr-cam-cleats/pxr-cam-cleat-for-precision-control-of-lines-8-10mm-hole-centres-sames-as-traditional-cam-cleats

However it appears that the PO may have oversized the mainsheet.  Will either of these spinlock cleats work or should I also replace my Mainsheet down to a 3/8" first and then install the new camcleat?

Any other alternatives or suggestions always welcome.   :abd:

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Our mainsheet is 1/2" and works just fine.  Buy the clutch that works with your line.  I understand that the clam cleat is plain stupid, but I suggest that you use a sheetstopper and not a cam cleat for your mainsheet.  We use a  clutch and leave it open when sailing.  It provides a much better fairlead to the winch.  I doubt if a cam cleat, even with a fairlead in front of it, could do as good a job.  Either open for a good fairlead to the winch, or closed to hold the mainsheet and boom in one position when not sailing, I think, is the way to go.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Thanks for the reply Stu.

I read in a previous post that you replaced your clam cleat with a Spinlock XLA sheet stopper.  Somewhere along the line I guess that I had thought you meant a cam cleat.  :donno: 

Spinlock no longer has the same type of "sheet stopper" you referenced.  Would you suggest something like the Spinlock XAS0612/1 Clutch?  Or am I once again completely out in left field? 
I hate it when I confuse myself  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Confusing myself is what I do on a regular basis.   :D :D :D

Sure, that would work.  I looked it up on Google.   You could also go Garhauer.  Anything that gives you a good lever arm to release the sheetstopper.  I bought the Spinlock ONLY because I was "It's in the store and I can see it and feel it and measure it" mode.  l think online purchasing has come a long way since then. :cry4`  The advantage was the Spinlock was short and compact.

I used one existing hole and drilled the other one through and sealed it.  Under the dodger.  Don't ask if it leaks...:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mregan

Is a sheetstopper and rope clutch the same thing?  I've been looking to replace the clam cleat.  It's awful.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mregan on July 09, 2013, 07:04:08 AM
Is a sheetstopper and rope clutch the same thing?  I've been looking to replace the clam cleat.  It's awful.

Yes and yes.  :D

Ron Hill

Kevin : if you look at page 4.1.3 of your Catalina owners manual, it specifies  the mainsheet as 7/16" Dacron!! 
7/16" is also specified for the Jib sheets, but most of us have upsized to 1/2" so the line does better in the self tailors of the primary winches.

You might want to measure the Mainsheet line that you have!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

When I upgraded mine (also including running the furling lines aft) I used the same make - Spinlock - that I had for the existing line stoppers.  The reason is that once the new ones were on, they looked like a matched set.  The size of line which works for that model will be listed on the box, or on the information sheet.   Just match it to your main sheet.  Good luck on your project.
Scotty

Kevin Henderson

Bought a Spinlock XAS Power clutch this past week and went to install yesterday.
As I started to back out the screws holding down the old clam cleat, I noticed that the screws were not backing out on their own and would simply spin freely in place.  Carefully I pried the old cleat up from the base but can only get it to come up about a 1/4 of an inch.
Working on the screws some more I can get them loose... they spin in place... but will not come up and out :donno:

Can someone please tell me if there is metal plate beneath the factory installed clam cleat (on an 88) or just exactly what type of material is underneath the wood where it's mounted?

I'm also not entirely certain whether the screws are machine screws or self-tapping.  (I think they are self-tapping).

Any tips on getting these things to come out so I can get my new power clutch installed?  Or do I need to go Nuclear on removal of the old cleat and screws. :twisted: :shock:
~Henry David Thoreau

mregan

On my '86 I have bolts that go through the deck and are secured from the cabin ceiling holding the clam cleat in.  I would think under the wood is just regular decking.  Maybe stick a small prybar under the cam cleat.  Put a little force on it which will give some resistance to the screws.  Then maybe you can get the screws to un-screw.

ealterman

Late to the posting about C 34 mainsheet size but I have a similar problem.
The 1/2 inch line keeps slipping out of the clm cleat. A 7/16 line stays nicely but I don't know what the minimum sheet size is.

Stu Jackson

I was wrong.  My mainsheet is 7/16.  I didn't check my records earlier.

ealterman, the thicker 1/2 slipping out of the clam cleat, as would be expected.

Minimum sheet size is in the manual in the tech wiki:  7/16.