The Prince of Blue Painter's Tape Discovers FrogTape

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Forum Readers,

Well, the self-proclaimed "Prince of Blue Painter's Tape" has found something better.  While continuing to apply Cetol to my teak handrails I had trouble masking off the non-skid.  The smooth gelcoat was no problem, but the "blankety-blank" Cetol was getting into the "valleys" of the non-skid.  No matter how hard I pressed the blue stuff down I was forever having to clean some Cetol out of the non-skid with 216 solvent.  A friend of mine at West Marine, my home away from home, suggested FrogTapeĀ© 2013 SHURTECH BRANDS, LLC.  Although West Marine does not sell it, Ace does.  WOW, what a product!  It takes me an hour to mask off one long handrail.  Cetol application is quick, but it took me an hour and a half to remove the Blue Painter's Tape and clean the valleys.  Now it is about 15 minutes to remove the masking and no valley cleaning.

For those of us who have teak brightwork and like a varnish-like finish, you have got to try this product.  For more information go to: http://frogtape.com/index.php/ .

Happy Painting,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Bobg

Got a kick out of your post, I just went through the same thing you did, blue painters tape, I had some real old green painters tape too. then trying to clean out the cetol from the valleys of the non skid, with 24 hours between coats, that cetol was hard to get off, I tried everything except the 216 solvent which I just heard about here,

I tried carb cleaner, acetone, starting fluid, zip strip, barkeepers friend, easy off oven cleaner, spilled beer, tooth brush, bronze brush, little tiny scrapers, laquer thinner, ect. ect.  and a lot of elbow grease.  I found if I soaked it in a rag and let it sit on the nonskid for 15 minutes the laquer thinner worked the best, carb cleaner a close second.  None of these items hurt my color on the non skid.  A boat detailer in the marina, said never use any tape, just be careful, get some artists brushes when getting close to the non skid.  I will tell him about the Frog Tape which I am going to get
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Jim Hardesty

I know that many will disagree.  I'll take that risk and share my go-to masking tape.  Cheep black electrical tape.  I buy the bargain 10 packs from Harbor Freight, and keep them out of my electrical repair tool box.  Started using the electrical tape following directions for applying VC Tar barrier coat.  It was on the boat for weeks building up coats and then bottom painting.  I was surprised that the tape pulled off clean and left a crisp paint line.  I have never had a problem removing the tape or it leaving any residue.  One thing to avoid is stretching the tape, it makes it harder to get a straight edge.  And the tape is too narrow for a sloppy painter like me so I need to second tape with wide tape, but that's quick.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Footloose

Does 216 solvent work for cleaning up Cetol drips?
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608Ā  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Footloose on July 02, 2013, 05:44:05 AM
Does 216 solvent work for cleaning up Cetol drips?

As long as the Cetol is still tacky, 216 works wonders.  I am reluctant to use powerful solvents I have not tested near the handrails for fear that it will attack calking and cause leaks.  So when I have a dry Cetol, or the PO's varnish, spot I very lightly sand with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper used wet.  For getting in the "valleys" of the non skid, I wrap the sandpaper around a popsicle stick.  I have a package of 100 popsicle sticks as they come in handy for countless boat cleaning chores.  The key word here is lightly.  A piece of sandpaper will last a very long time.  I like it best after it is half used up.  If you are careful, like the commercial says, "like it never even happened."  (the Cetol drip)

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422