Cold Cranking Amps for M25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

I am considering replacing the electrical panel in Surprise a 1987 Catalina 34.  As part of this change, I would also replace the main battery switch.  To select the correct switch, it would be helpful to know the cold cranking amps of the M25XP.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows the current draw of the starting motor.

Thanks,

Vic :sleepy:
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Why replace the 1-2-B switch?  Do you think something is wrong with it?

Maine Sail has reported this:

Starting the engine requires very, very little from a battery, many folks over think this and believe it requires a lot more than it really does. The peak in-rush current draw, for a split second, on my 44HP four cylinder Westerbeke is about 160 amps (peak split second current). The starter motor on my Westerbeke is a 1.5 kW an the starters on the average Universal M-25's are .8 kW.

You do NOT need one of those "heavy duty" switches.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Any Blue Sea, Perko or Guest battery switch will be more than enough. Why are you replacing it..?

In-rush on these motors is 300A +/- depending upon temps, cable, battery condition etc. continual starting load in the 150A range.

Do you plan to crank your motor at 0F often??
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Vic Suben

Thanks for the information.  The reason for the replacement is that I want to switch to a circuit breaker panel to get rid of the fuses.  When changing to the Blue Seas panels, space becomes a consideration and their m-type battery switch is a better fit than the e-type.

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

KWKloeber

Good sale price for Anyone needing a multi meter to measure cranking amps (or just another tool) see:

https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/message/103003
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain