engine temp/thermostat

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Changed all engine hoses and water pump, new antifreez, filled the hoses to the hot water heater and the resevoir prior to starting the engine, temp started to rise above 200 degrees, I revved engine and opened the pet cock above thermostat to let air out. shut engine down, repeated this 3 times, wouldn't clear up, then I went and got a hand pump, (one of those small red ones for about 5 bucks), connected it to the hose from the thermostat barb and pulled the antifreeze through the system,
now the engine doesn't get hot, however, it only gets to 130 degrees after a hour run in gear and 1500 rpm, do you suppose the thermostat was damaged when it got over 200 degrees?  seems to be stuck open.  ordinarily, I run at 160 Thank you
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Bob, take the boat out and run it at cruising speed.  1500 rpm is essentially a higher idle speed and my engine won't come up to temp at those low rpms out of gear.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bob : You might want to check the temperature of the thermostat housing with a thermal gun - if running at cruise rpm doesn't cause the temperature to go back to 160 degrees. 

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ron,

On a slightly different tack I am installing a coolant reservoir which I recall you did. I take it the bottle should have the lid on tight.
Is that correct.
Also as an aside I seem unable to use the search function...comes up with an odd error message. Not sure if it is me or the site?
I was trying to find your earlier thread.
Thanks
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

patrice

Quote from: Hawk on July 04, 2013, 10:37:18 PM

Also as an aside I seem unable to use the search function...comes up with an odd error message. Not sure if it is me or the site?
I was trying to find your earlier thread.
Thanks
Hawk

Hi search engine being under repair  :?
try this
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7570.0.html
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

"On a slightly different tack I am installing a coolant reservoir which I recall you did. I take it the bottle should have the lid on tight. Is that correct."

Bob : No the bottle should NOT be air tight, because the fluid gets sucked back into the engine reservoir when the engine cools and air comes back into the bottle. 
The bottle should be lower or at the same height as the reservoir pressure cap on the engine.  The tube has to be angled cut, go to the bottom of the recovery bottle and have the bottle below half full when the coolant is cold.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788