Galley Sink drain assembly with plastic elbow flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Hi everyone,
I'm working on trying to loosen and remove the sink drain from the port bowl of the double bowl sink. I can't seem to get the collar to turn from below. Access is really tight and hard to get a wrench on it. Is the collar supposed to turn from below? Any tricks to getting it loose? Do I need to remove the short section that goes to the tee to rotate the elbow? Looking for ideas before I break something. The drain leaks where it meets the bowl. Thanks.
Mike.....

search:  galley+sink+drain
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ted Pounds

Go to Home Depot and get a couple of bar-sink drains.  Then just bust out those cheap plastic ones that Catalina put in there in 1987.  That's what I did.  While you're at it re-plumb the whole drain system so it drains faster.  There are a couple of threads on it here.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike McDonald

Thanks Ted, that sounds like a good idea. I'll check that out.
Mike...
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

reedbr

I busted mine this spring on my MKII trying to get it off. I had the same question, what is the right way? It seems like it is caulked in there. I've been having troubles getting the right parts to replace it from Home Depot. Sure, the bar sink strainers are there and look much more useful, but how to go from 2" threaded to 1" barbed with a right angle in there? I've got a pile of 4 fittings per side that I need to glue together to make the transition and bend, and I'm hoping it doesn't hang down 6 inches or more when I'm all done. That's my pot & pan storage area.

The post he is referring to is here:
http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/sink_drain.html

and this one:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=6310.0

Here is the original part, at least for my boat:
http://www.boatparts.net/plumbing-accessories/galley-pump/faucet-combo-systems/forespar-907017-1-id-sink-waste-90-deg-sw-4/

The more I look at it, the more I think the white 90 degree bend and the black ring need to spin together, i.e. undo the hose barb connection first. Good luck.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

mregan

You need to get a wrench on the nut below then stick something in the drain so it doesn't spin when you are turning the nut.  When you install a new drain, use plumbers putty.  Waterproof and non-hardening.
I left mine installed but replaced all the plumbing with 1 1/2" pvc drain fittings I found at Home Depot.  I kept one of the plastic funnel fittings the old 3/4" hose tied on to.  Ran 1 1/2" pvc to about 8" above the seacock.  Then re-installed the 3/4" funnel fitting and tied the new 3/4" drain hose from it to the seacock.  I couldn't find a 1 1/2" to barbed fitting.
Took a couple of trips to HD to get the right pvc drain fittings but I was able to figure it out eventually. 

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Mike : Follow Capt. Al's directions, except that you don't need the dishwasher vent. Get rid of that cheap drain junk that Catalina installed!!

The easiest way to tighten the new drains in place is to put a long nose pliers in from the sink side.  While you turn the nut underneath someone holds the pliers from turning. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

You guys are amazing!  I went out and bought the parts for the re-do, using the PVC 1-1/2" piping, and new sink drain fittings.  Thanks for the unbelievable support!
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

There's another Galley Sink and Microwave topic on this issue, in addition to the wiki.  We just opened up below our galley sink and found this plumbing from the galley sink.  These are straight sink drain Forespar OEM fittings, going to 3/4" hose.  I note that the source in the link below has the same fittings with 90 elbows to 1 inch hose.

I also note this topic:  

Galley Sink Drain replacement and Microwave

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6310.0.html

Reply #13 provides a low profile and seemingly easy-to-install alternative.

I'm looking into it.

I'm also wondering if I can get the Forespar 90 degree 1" elbows and attach them to the existing drains without removing them.

We do have a microwave, which has been removed in this picture, so there's some room above it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve W10

Hey Paul, further to Stu's link, I've now had those drains for around 3 years I think; still loving 'em.  Made lots of extra room for the microwave.

The image below is just to show how I veered from the norm of joining the drains right away, directly underneath, and simply ran a bit of extra hose back behind the microwave into a "T" (looked for a "y" but couldn't find one) then to the thru-hull.

Steve

PS: the image was taken just before cutting out the drawer and installing the microwave as well as replacing all the hoses on my boat.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 17, 2013, 05:41:58 PM

I'm also wondering if I can get the Forespar 90 degree 1" elbows and attach them to the existing drains without removing them.

Forespar does make a 90 degree 1" fitting.  I just bought two of them and will attempt to leave the existing drains in place and "move up" to a one inch drain.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike McDonald

Stu,
Those drain fittings look great.  I did finally finish mine with the 1-1/2" pvc drain plumbing and bar sink SS sink drain fittings.  It works great, but it was a lot more work than I expected.  I think the 1" drain fittings you are using would have been a much easier approach.  Good luck.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Best laid plans:  In trying to reuse the old sink drains with the new bottoms, turns out I need to remove the old ones, 'cuz one of the drains broke inside the sink.  I'm on the boat now and am having on heck of a time getting the old black collar off the through threads.   :shock:  Demolition comes next!!!  :D

Ron Hill

Mike : You are going to enjoy your new drains even though there was added work.  

You'll find that when the sink is draining it will makes the sucking noise :thumb: - because it drains so fast  :clap!!
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Stu,
I had to break everything apart on mine. Nothing would budge.  Even after I cut the parts out, I still couldn't separate them.  Get out the dynamite!

Ron,
You're right they really drain fast.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario