engine blower

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

On Shamrock the only time the engine blower will run is when the engine key is on.  When it's hot outside at times I'd like to run the blower after stoping the engine to cool the engine and the aft cabin.  I think that it would be simple to change the wireing so I could do that.  Has any one done this?  And what did you do?

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mregan

I have a blower switch on my engine panel.  I would think you could incorporate the same thing.  I may be wrong but there should be a wire from the ignition to the blower to turn on the blower when the ignition is enabled.  Cut the wire and install the switch.  Ing to switch, switch to blower.  I think that should work.

Stu Jackson

Yup, you simply need to run the positive power directly to the blower switch, bypass the ignition switch which is now in series with the blower switch power wire.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jim : Pull the engine instrument panel. 
Move the blower wire from the center terminal to the left hot terminal (same terminal as the heavy red wire). 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Thanks for responding.  Sounds like a straight forward modification.  Thought it would be.  But, we all know sometimes a simple sounding boat project can in reality be a PITA.  I'll do it next time I have an extra hour or so on Shamrock.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

patrice

Hi,
On mine too I have a toggle switch for the blower on the engine panel.
But the motor bearings are gone, it make a weird skweeking sounds.    :shock:

But thinking of it, it would be great to wake up  :sleepy:  peoples in the aft berth....   :clap

:abd:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

I had an hour on Shamrock with nothing planned so thought I'd switch that wire so my blower would run without the key on.   It's not that simple on a MKll.  The wire runs from key switch, to 10a circuit breaker (beside the blower switch), then branches one to the blower, the other to the gages, warning lights and alarm.  So I think the only way to do it and still have circuit protection is to add a second circuit breaker.  Wire it to the hot side of the key switch then to the blower switch.  I'll look closer to see if there is enough room to add the circuit breaker.  I don't want to add an inline fuse.  It would lack accessibliity.
Simple enough, just need to get a circuit breaker to match the existing one.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, consider putting the breaker at the blower and just do the wiring inside the pedestal.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jim : If you run into space problems for a breaker you can install a 10amp inline fuse. 
A breaker is better.  Your choice
Ron, Apache #788