M-25 Glo Plug information

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Can not seem to enter the C34 search engine any longer.

I am looking for the Kubota engine number equivalent for the 1986 Universal M-25 engine so that I can purchase a glow plug.

I have a glow plug that has a broken stem so online sources for glow plugs will also be helpful. I do have the Universal glow plug number which is 299685 but need to cross reference to Kubota or to NAPA to make a purchase.

Thanks !!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

mregan

Gary
I just replaced all of mine.  Used NGK Y103V glowplugs.  NAPA, Advanced Auto, didn't have the NGK or anything to match so I bought them from Amazon.  I needed a 12mm wrench to get the glowplug out and a 8mm wrench to get the nut off the stem.

Stu Jackson

Gary, sorry, we're still working on getting the search engine repaired.

D850.

If anyone needs any engine information (until the search is fixed) I recommend using the C34 Tech wiki, it has A LOT of engine information.

Or, as someone else has suggested, use Google with C34ia included in the search.  Klutzy, but it works.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary

mregan,

Thanks for the info on NGK glow plugs. I have ordered the Y103V through Amazon. The NGK Y103V has a fast light off time and the NGK Y103K, which some use, has a slower light off time. The information on metric wrench size is also very helpful.

Thanks Stu on the Kubota equivalent D 850!  To push this thread further does anyone have the Kubota glow plug part number for a D 850 ?

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Hill

Guys : According to my local Kubota dealer mechanic --The small parts of the M25 and M25XP are the same.  The main difference is the length of the piston stroke - to get that extra 2 HP.  

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Gary on June 03, 2013, 02:27:01 PM
Thanks Stu on the Kubota equivalent D 850!  To push this thread further does anyone have the Kubota glow plug part number for a D 850 ?

Gary, as I suggested, please use the C34 Tech wiki.  There is an entire section called Manuals

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manuals

One includes the Kubota tractor engine, a large PDF file.  I opened it, but I didn't read all the pages, so why not give it a try?  It's for the D950, but like Ron said, the stuff's the same for the D850.  There is also a link under Engines in the C34 Tech wiki that links back to other equivalents, which includes the tractor model info you originally asked for.  Please, familiarize yourself with the wiki, it's got tons of useful information. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

I got mine at "carquest" $8.31 apiece, ngk y103v,  guy at kubota wanted 14 bucks I think and universal wanted around $50.  Keep checking with various car part stores
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Gary

Thanks Bob. Very helpful. I did use an Amazon source and purchased 3 x NKG Y103V glow plugs for $25, shipping included. It was helpful to know that your Kubota quote was 14. each. The high price in my research was a Universal at 77. each. Since NGK makes high quality plugs for many applications this seems an excellent choice.

Thanks again to everyone for such helpful information!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

patrice

Quote from: Gary on June 03, 2013, 02:27:01 PM
mregan,

The NGK Y103V has a fast light off time and the NGK Y103K, which some use, has a slower light off time.
Gary

HI,
What exactly does the '' light off time'' refer to ???

Thanks for the input.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Gary

Patrice,

I was speaking with an Canadian plug supplier and he used the term to describe the difference between the V and K versions of the Y103. I did not ask him but I was thinking it might mean length of time to reach temperature for ignition, or for us, how long we depress the glow plug switch. Again, I did not ask him when he used the term....

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

patrice

Hi Gary,

Ok, that sound like what I was thinking too.
That might also be why some require to hold 10 sec. and some 20 sec.
just an idea.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Guys : The biggest thing that will change the "light off time" is the addition of a solenoid and making that modification!!  That modification is listed in critical updates, Mainsheet tech notes, projects etc etc!!  Not that difficult to do either!!

Then your M25/M25XP engines will be like the M25XPB, M35 and M35BC engines.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

No disrespect Ron, but as usual I seem to be the enigma... can you explain why I have no solenoid or dedicated start battery, my wiring is 20+ years old, I removed the "trailer plugs" and I don't have to hold the glow plugs on for more than a count to 10. To go along with this  I had one  bad deep cycle battery and one of the wrong type (dual purpose, probably not a factor).  It is my contention that: if your wiring, connections, glow plugs, compression, injectors and fuel quality are in order, you shouldn't need the solenoid modification, unless you want to mask one of the above problems?

Take it away Ron!

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?