Question re: 2013 West Coast Rendezvous @ Two Harbors

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

I was planning a trip to Two Harbors Catalina on July 11-14th.  Coincidentally, the Catalina Yachts Rendezvous is the same weekend.  I've never attended this event and am wondering how big of a crowd the rendezvous draws.  I don't know whether I should be concerned about finding a mooring when I arrive or not.  Anybody know how many boats generally attend these events?  Thanks.  :D
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Mick Laver

Mark - We've picked up moorings at Isthmus Cove several times while the Rendezvous was going on. IMO it's not any more crowded than the standard Summer weekend. Given that you're arriving on Thursday fairly early (since Long Beach is so close) I doubt if you'll have a problem. You may get moved, of course, if the mooring's owner wants to use it.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

2ndwish

If you are arriving Thursday, you can reserve a mooring online. Once on a mooring you are generally ok for the weekend.

Mark Sutherland

Hi 2nd Wish,  If by "reserve" a mooring you mean go on the Two Harbors web site to reserve a mooring the night before I go, I looked there today, and over the past few weeks, and it appears that their reservation system is down/not working.  Here's the site I went to:  http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/boat_mooringSites.php    Am I going to the wrong web site?  Thanks for the feedback.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Gary Brockman

I was at the island Saturday and Sunday and spoke with the Harbor Patrol about the reservation system and was told the the guy who set it up last year is gone as is the software they used. They ar hopeful to set up a new reservation system in the future, but its not likely this summer.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

2ndwish

That sucks. The reservation system was great. In practice though getting there on Thursday has the same effect (except maybe 4th of July and Labor Day).