dripping raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

I noticed a considerable buildup of salt under and around the weep hole of my Oberdorfer raw water pump, caused by what could be excessive "weeping".  Is this a bad sign, announcing an imminent breakdown?

Thanks

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

cholder

The salt build up means it's time to have the pump rebuilt.  You'll need to have a new shaft seal and carbon bearing pushed into the body.  It's not a complex task but best done professionally unless you're a well equiped and competent mechanic.

Stu Jackson

Fulvio

I had the same problem a few years ago, before Ron's article was published.

It turns out that there are two seals, as mentioned, inside the pump.  I had two choices:  rebuild the old pump by removing and reinstalling new seals, or get a new pump.  I chose to get a new pump.  I still have the old one and one of these days I'll have the old seals bunged out and replaced for a complete backup.  Nigel Calder's book has a good description of how to do it yourself.

Also, the dripping does and can cause damage, not only to the oil pan housing, but to everything on that side of the engine, inclduing the forward starboard engine mount.  I had to wire brush everything there clean, and repaint with rustproof paint, still awaiting the finish coat of Universal bronze, so part of the engine is still battleship gray!

I think that a carbon shaft came with the new pump.  

IMy records show it cost me $285, but that includes the pump, some hoses, gaskets, clamps, etc.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tsoko

Stu,
If you don't want to spend $20+ on the Universal Bronze colored spray paint, I've found that GM #286 (Camel) is an almost exact match for just a few dollars a can, and found at most auto supply stores.
Tom Soko
Julandra C36#659

Stu Jackson

tsoko

Thanks, I was aware of that.  I had purchased the spray paint before Ron had addressed that issue.  I find it easier to paint with a brush than to mask off areas for spraying.  I've painted on battleship gray rust primer and have yet to do the final coat of "bronze."  At least now I know the paint color match!

Thanks, Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fulvio

I do have a lot of spare engine parts, including a fresh water pump - I'll need to scavenge for the Oberdorfer, I'm pretty sure I have that, too.  I guess I'll replace it and rebuild the old one - I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary.
By the way, I also installed a new alternator (the one from the "Battery Shack" firm in Florida), which failed me after a couple dozen hours.  I was able to replace it with the original Motorola while under way, 20 miles from the Olympic peninsula pacific coast.   :cool:

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)