exhaust riser

Previous topic - Next topic

asea

I have to replace my exhaust riser on my 1986 catalina. i was told instead of using niples that westerbeke makes a riser for the universal engine m-25 part number is 200266. it looks easy to install but i was wondering if anyone has done so? i wanted to make sure that it would physically fit. Attached is a picture of the part.

Thanks

Ron Hill

Asea : The riser will probably not fit unless it can be turned sideways and I don't think it can function sideways.  You'll have to measure and Ask the question.

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Vic Suben

Last year I replaced the riser on my M25XP.  I got the riser from Catalina Direct.  They had exactly the right size (no cutting or adapting needed) and the silver insulation.  The unit comes with the hump hose as well as the insulation.  In my opinion it's better than trying to assemble pipe, nipples ,etc.  The Catalina Direct website gives all the information you need to order the correct riser.

Hope this helps,
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

asea

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 30, 2013, 02:54:58 PM
Asea : The riser will probably not fit unless it can be turned sideways and I don't think it can function sideways.  You'll have to measure and Ask the question.

My thought
yes, i will have to measure, i was just wondering if anyone has done the upgrade. of course it won't work on a sideways installation.

asea

Quote from: Vic Suben on May 30, 2013, 04:24:49 PM
Last year I replaced the riser on my M25XP.  I got the riser from Catalina Direct.  They had exactly the right size (no cutting or adapting needed) and the silver insulation.  The unit comes with the hump hose as well as the insulation.  In my opinion it's better than trying to assemble pipe, nipples ,etc.  The Catalina Direct website gives all the information you need to order the correct riser.

Hope this helps,
i am familiar with Catalina Direct. I doubt they will have the correct riser for my older Catalina. I did this same job 11 years ago with black iron and schedule 80. I should of replaced it again 5 years ago. with the insulation covering it was out of sight and out of mind. Any way the riser kit is a vast improvement but was hoping to see if anyone has done the upgrade using to an older Catalina Mark l. I'll find out this weekend when i will be on the boat to do measuring.

Ron Hill

Asea : If that new riser does happen to fit make sure you use either black pipe or a stainless nipple to connect to the engine flange.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I was able to get a new stainless riser for my '89 MK 1 from the Catalina factory. I was required to send them me old one for them to copy and they did a great job, perfect fit. Make sure you order an extra gasket and the silicine hump hose.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : If you have a good local metal fabrication shop in your area, they can make a stainless riser using the old one as a pattern. 
You don't need the factory or Catalina Direct.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

asea

For what it's worth for Mark l owners the riser will work but one has to re-invent the wheel to make it do so. Although the part will fit it is the hoses that make it difficult as to where the aquatank muffler is located. I decided that it wasn't worth the effort especially in light that my schedule 80 black Iron nipples worked and lasted me 11 years. I was surprised to find the integrity of the nipples in much better shape than than I expected when I removed them. Ugly on the surface but still had a lot of meat and the thread were in tact. Still I would strongly recommend to change them out sooner than the 11 years I waited to do so. Even though the riser was still working metal fatigue should also be considered. Schedule 80 nipples and fittings will run about $30.00. S.S. is great but at what cost?? I love my Catalina but it's not a Hinkley.