Butyl tape versus Sikaflex 295 UV for chain plate rebedding

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,

From my readings, I gather that Butyl Tape is the "right" thing to use for rebedding the chain plates.   The rigger that I am working with recommends using Sikaflex 295 UV instead and it is available at the local store. Has anyone had experience with using Sikaflex 295 UV or the newer Sikaflex 295i UV.

Thanks,

Bob Mobley

Kevin Henderson

Hi Bob,

I have not used it and I am very curious to hear Mainsails recomendation.  However, out of curiosity, I just pulled up the Product Data Sheet for Sikaflex 295 UV.  2 Things immediately drew my attention.... especially the second item:

Areas of Application
Sikaflex®-295 UV black is intended to be used as an adhesive and/or sealant in bonding applications for polycarbonate windows and acrylic (PMMA) windows.
Sikaflex®-295 UV white is intended to be used as a sealant in open joints between glass, ceramics, metals, many plastics, fiberglass and many types of paint.

Removal
Uncured Sikaflex®-295 UV may be removed from tools and equipment with Sika® Remover-208 or another suitable solvent. Once cured, the material can only be removed mechanically.

I have used the Gray Butyl Tape a couple of times and it is easily removed even years after it's laid down.  I'm certain others here will have better advice but that's my take on it.  Maybe there is something available that is not so Final.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Indian Falls

I'm using white-ish butyl tape for white rubber roofs on RV's for everything.  Seals permanently, allows movement, never hardens, comes off easy, one roll of this stuff is lifetime supply for 5 boats.  I think its a bad idea to use something that hardens up on something as flexible as a sailboat.  But that's just me.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

mregan

I agree with Dan.  I re-bedded my chainplates this past fall.  Installed the chainplates in the fall, it started to rain so I took some butyl, pressed it around the chainplates where they come out of the deck and forgot to put the stainless covers plates on them.  Never had a leak all winter.  In about 2 minutes I had it all pulled off in the spring, with no residue to clean up, installed some fresh/clean butyl, installed the cover plates and have had no leaks yet.

Ron Hill

Guys : I used the butyl tape I got from Mainsail . Re bedded a chain plat that was leaking, went sailing an hour later.  That was last year and it's still holding!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pablosgirl

Hi Bob,
I have used both and prefer the butyl tape.  I used the 295 UV black to seal and adhear the black acrylic fixed port windows on our previous boat.  Would last 2 to 3 years then the seal would fail and I would have to redo it.  On the c34 I have used it for the chain plates, the lifeline Stanton's, one of the opening ports and no leaks after 3 wears.  I find it much easier to work with and to clean up.  I would defiantly use the butyl tape.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

mainesail

Sikaflex 295UV is an excellent product, perhaps my favorite among the polyurethanes, but like any polyurethane it sticks hard and is tough on clean up. Tubes also go bad once opened.

Truth is either product will work, if done correctly. I personally prefer Bed-It butyl, WHERE IT CAN BE USED, and use Sika 295UV or 291 when I can't use butyl... Butyl does work great for chain plates because it has a lot more elongation potential than any of the marine sealants..

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Indian Falls

MaineSail you didn't mention where "you" can't use butyl!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

mainesail

There are just certain applications where I don't use it or where the fitting or part to be bedded is to dainty.

Butyl requires compression and a good quality tape is rather dense to minimize "bleed" and force itself into every nook & cranny.

Items like thin strips of teak tend to dent in at the screw hole and not compress the butyl anywhere else.

Plastic fittings like those by Beckson also flex at the screw holes if you don't manually compress it with a home made jig and body weight. I won't use it for fuel fills but Sabre did and many of these boats are well past 30 years with dry fuel fills....

Chain plate cover plates that "screw" into balsa core and are not through bolted, a bad idea to begin with, would be another area were I may opt for something else unless there is time to properly pot the holes and have solid screw bite into something other than balsa or wet plywood.....

It really all depends upon the application...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/