Does anyone have a seating solution for the helm when motoring?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent & Jane Overbeck

Now that Blue Heron Marine is no longer in business making the Helmseat, does anyone have an alternative solution for actually sitting comfortably at the helm when motoring?

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

RV61

We sewed a couple straps on boat cushion and hang it on the rail for back comfort.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Brad Young

Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

There's great validity to Brad's answer.  I rarely, even if sailing, am behind the helm, and when motoring, almost never.  The control head for our autopilot is midway between the helm and the cockpit, kinda in line with the wheel, so I can get to it from both in front of and behind the wheel.  Many with newer boats don't have this luxury because their autopilot controls are at the helm, although Steve Dolling mentioned that on their trip to Mexico from Vancouver, BC, they didn't bother installing their AP remote 'cuz they just reached around - after a while they knew where the buttons were located.

We have a single perch seat on the port side, use it coming home when the wind's behind us, rarely when going out.  But it's a good option.

The other choice you seem to have is to make one.  I would think some starboard would be a good choice.  Make the fore and aft risers and use slats to connect the two ends to keep the weight down.  You could drill the risers like Swiss cheese to reduce weight, too.

I'm just a proponent of not being a slave behind the wheel.  It's probably the most useless place to be on the boat except maybe when steering when docking.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

I use a helm cushion from Bottomsiders. It fits perfectly in the flat spot behind the wheel and it allows me to sit up higher for visibility. It will slide around when we heel over, though.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Kevin Henderson

I like to move around a lot as well and prefer not to be pinned down to the helm.  However, one solution that  I find quite comfortable is to use the go anywhere seat.  I put it in place behind the wheel and secure it down with some shock cord and I'm good to go.  It's easily removed and stowed and can be used for other seating arrangements as well.  Pretty comfortable to I might add.   :abd:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=279995&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50821&subdeptNum=50822&classNum=50828#.UarNA0DkqSo
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jeff Kaplan

Follow Mike's suggestion and get in touch with Zarcor.  Web site zarcor.com  phone# 972-380-8724. They have all the patterns for the Catalinas, and don't forget to order the cushions for the perch seats.  When I first got my boat 9 years ago, po had one on board, on the trip home I was on the phone ordering the other side.  Just got new replacement cushions this week. Great product...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

mtullier

We purchased our seats from West Marine similar to Kevin's.  They work great, comfortable, store easlily, and you can move them.  We keep 4 on the boat for guest and my helm seat
Mike

mregan

I agree with mtull & Kevin.  Those seats are great, we have two.  Just wait before you buy.  WM usually puts them on sale in the summer and they are usually almost half price.

Kevin Henderson

I have the Zarcor seats with cusions as well.  I sometimes like to perch myself up there and relax.  At the same time I will keep the go anywhere seat at the ready behind the wheel when I want to sit down and hang out at the helm.  I'm all about choices.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

patrice

Hi,

Here is the link to the helmseat you are talking
http://www.helmseat.com/ 

What I don't really like about this solution, is to have to unscrew it from location everytime you use the swim ladder.  I my case I at a mooring.
I have the Zarcor on both side, these are great, and I stand when really needed to be behind.  When sailing I'll be seating in front of the wheel.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

tommyt

I believew that the 2001 and 2004 are the same configuration. Mine is a 2004. I have the factory perch seats and love them. Just steer with my feet if auto is not doing its work.
In addition, when I am behind the wheel I can't stand sitting and have no desire for the higher seat in the middle of the swim ladder. I pull out the removable section of the seat behind the wheel and hook it over the swim ladder rails, and then have a back saver while standing behind the wheel. It also opens up the foot room making it much more comfortable back there.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Momentum M

Hi
I have the Helmseat, its confortable and I am very happy with it.  Granted it's a tight fit but if I know that I'll be behind the Wheel for a long time then I retreive it from the aft room.
It's removable in a jiffy...2 wing nuts (they lock in place so you don't have to worry about loosing them).  Since it attach to the 2 sides of the balcony the ladder is still functional but you can't get thru unless you remove the seat.
If anyone decide to order this seat I recommend that you get it with the long legs (that's what I've done) since I don't use the Catalina supplied seat because I find that it always rubbing against the bottom of you leg.  After a while you might decide to shorten the leg...so all you have to do is cut them...and the seat cost you the same with either legs lenght.
It give you a good view and even Under sail I can use it..with a foot on the side to stop me from sliding.  It come with a sunbrela cover and a small cup for your drink.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May