Baffled with engine issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Chuck : From your description you have to have a defective seacock!  Unscrew the strainer or take the hose off with the seacock closed ( handle 90 degrees to the thru hull/hose) and water should NOT come out.

The only answer to your problem is a defective seacock!! 
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

That's what I've been saying all along.  With the seacock in the closed position, I can open my strainer and no water comes out.

stevewitt1

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination, you're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.  There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition.........
That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: The Seacock Zone!

Remember:  There is nothing in the dark, that isn't there when the lights are on!

Personally I can't wait for the final solution to this multi faceted issue....I'm on the edge of my seat...
Sounds like my kind of problem..
Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  and www.warbirdsix.com

chuck53

Quote from: stevewitt1 on June 09, 2013, 05:01:09 PM

You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination, you're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.  There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition.........
That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: The Seacock Zone!

I love it!!!  All I need is Rod Sterling coming down my dock with a tool box to fix my problem....wearing a suit!

Ron Hill

Chuck : Hallelujah, you finally solved your problem of the engine running with water coming out of the exhaust with the thurhull closed; so there might be something wrong with that seacock!!  
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 09, 2013, 02:39:26 PM
Quote from: chuck53 on June 09, 2013, 01:04:47 PM

The real mystery is how can I run the engine at 2000 RPM's for 30 minutes and there still be anti freeze in the strainer.

You have a 160F thermostat.

And there is no anti-freeze in the strainer, it's river water.

I didn't notice this post until today.  I've been winterizing inboard powered boats (both single engine sail and twin engine power) for 20 years.  I can tell the difference between river water and anti freeze and I can promise...it was AF.

I do agree with the T-stat.  As I mentioned, running with the seacock closed, I ran a consistent 170.  With it open, I ran 160.

Stu Jackson

Understanding your vast experience in boats, could you please explain how there is antifreeze in your raw water strainer?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 09, 2013, 05:57:42 PM
Understanding your vast experience in boats, could you please explain how there is antifreeze in your raw water strainer?

I never said I had vast experience....just 20 years of winterizing experience which is more than enough to tell the difference between river water and AF.  If I showed my 3 year old grandson a glass of AF and a glass of river water, I'm pretty sure the next day he could point out which was AF.

Sorry, I can't explain how there was AF in my strainer...only that it was there after running the engine 30-40 minutes.  That's the whole point of this thread....things happened on my boat I can't explain.

waterdog

Quote from: stevewitt1 on June 09, 2013, 05:01:09 PM
Remember:  There is nothing in the dark, that isn't there when the lights are on!

This can't be true.   We used to spend our days making evasive maneuvers to avoid hitting humpbacks that would pop up in front of us in Mexico  Never had any problem with them at night...

And anchors will only drag at 2:30 in the morning...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat