Broke thru hull fitting

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Just a heads up.
I happened to look inside my anchor locker thru hull fitting when I was walking around outside the boat before launch.  
There was a substantial crack that ran from 2 to 10 on the clock.
When I tried to remove it for replacement it simply crumbled in my hands.

The plastic had turned to oatmeal.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mainesail

Can you get us a picture? Was this Marelon?
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

2ndwish

That fitting is above the waterline and is a nylon fitting (at least on our boat). That said, it is close enough to the waterline that it does require frequent inspection. It has been a cause of leaks on 2ndWish in the past. A PITA to get to as well.

Terry Forshier

i replaced this thru hull last year on my 1988. It was taking water in the boat when hard on the wind. The hole would be in the water (wake) and water would come in. Took a long time for me to find out where the water was coming from. After I replaced  this I am bone dry again.
(I posted this earlier but I had a bucket or two of water in the v after a long days sail)

Les Luzar

I had my anchor locker drain through-hull fitting replaced on my last haul out by the yard. Mine was leaking and I too was constantly getting water in my bow storage compartment. The yard used a new marlon fitting with a wider lip so that more adhesive sealant could be used on the greater surface area. My older fitting a a very small lip. So fat, the bow has remained bone dry!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

lazybone

Quote from: 2ndwish on May 24, 2013, 06:57:11 AM
That fitting is above the waterline and is a nylon fitting (at least on our boat). That said, it is close enough to the waterline that it does require frequent inspection. It has been a cause of leaks on 2ndWish in the past. A PITA to get to as well.

Just for the record the plastic is called Acetal and in my opinion has no place on a boat, below or above the waterline.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677