Need a recommendation for a charter in the San Juan Islands

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I have a friend who is looking to charter a 34+ foot sailboat in the San Juans with captain.  Anyone have a recommendation?

Dave Smith
webmaster@c34.org
Bear Territory #1421

sail4dale

We did the charter bit in the S.J. islands

We're rag sailors but we opted for a 37' trawlwer and were glad.  The currents and weather (in August) made us appreciate the power.  However I'd go back to the ABC Charter in Anacortes again.  Good people.  Good sailing.

Dale

captran

It was many years ago we chartered from Wind n Sails out of Friday harbor. (early 80"s)  They sold out.  There is a place in Friday Harbor but transportation and parking are a problem out in the Islands (Ferry, and parking is aweful).  I do not know the number but they have quite a few boats at Skyline Marina in Anacortes.  I kept my Newport 30 there from @92 to 99 and looked at the brochures.  They have both sail and power.  Compared to ownership chartering always seems so expensive. Bellingham is also close and places to charter. Check out a free copy of 48 degrees north.  There are many companies and individuals that advertise chartering.  they (48 North)have an online site which I'm sure you an find using google.  We cruised for 7 summers full time in the San Juans, Gulf Islands and up past Desolation Sound.  Beautiful scenery, Island trails to walk, fishing, Orca and fairly mild weather conditions (compared to summer thunderstorms and tropical weather of the Bahamas)...If the water were 20 degrees warmer we'd still be cruising there, and likely will retun someday.

kmorton16@comcast.net

I chartered from Ship Harbor Yacht Charters, LLC out of Anacortes, WA last year. They were prompt in their check in and check out and their boats were well equipped.  I recommend them.
If you want a great experience, see Princess Louisa Sound which is North of Vancouver, BC.  If you would like more info let me know.
Ken Morton - Trident - 1300.

jentine

If you are interested in exchanging time on your boat for time on someonelse's boat, the following is probably worth your time to investigate.  I just looked at the site and they had several persons interested in swapping from the San Juan Islands area.
http://members.shaw.ca/boatandbillet/boatswap/listings.htm
Jim Kane :)

Jeff Tancock

Another thought for your charter may be to consider chartering in Sidney BC. It's where we are and it's right on the doorstep (<10 miles) of the San Juans and is in the Canadian Gulf Islands. The people are good, great selection of boats and the currency exchange might make it more cost effective for your friends. I can look into it if you like but the two bigger ones that come to mind are Island Cruising and Bosun's Charters. Also the airport in Sidney is only 5 minutes away with lots of daily flights to Seattle and Vancouver so very handy.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp