Ok I'm trying to confirm My earlier freezing problem

Previous topic - Next topic

One Love

I my previous posting I told all of you that I had a problem because I found antifreeze in my bilge and a trickle of the antifreeze under the motor. My concern was that I might have a big problem on my hands, like a blown block due to freezing. I had some very good replies and this is the follow up.

On Sunday it finally got warm enough here in Ontario for me to go back and see if I could find the leak. After two hours of looking and touching I found nothing so I went out and bought a radiator pressure tester for $125.00 and added some air pressure to the closed water system. The good news is that all went well and the system held air, so there are no leaks, or at least I dont think so, The bad news is that I can't get the rad cap to hold pressure, so this must have been the problem all along. (Maybe that is the good news as well) I'll buy a new cap in the next few days and that should be that.

My question to all of you now is, have I missed something obvious or should I consider this problem solved.

Reno Viola
One Love #1427
Ontario Canad

Stu Jackson

Reno

Glad to hear you tracked it down.

There was a recent post about radiator caps, don't know if you saw it.

http://c34.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=508296417&f=318296417&m=9942987196&inc=-1

My answer was for the M25 engine, and your newer boat will perhaps have a different one.

There is also the Universal engine website as a resource.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Norris Johnson

Where did you find one? Mine is still good, but I would like to have a spare.

Thanks,
Norris
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Jim Rose

This has been discussed before.  Go to bottom of this page to "Refine Search".  Type in "pressure cap".  You will find some more thoughts on this.  I had this same problem.  Over the winter the coolant leaks out of the pressure cap and runs along the engine manifold where you will find some under the engine.  I replaced the cap with another from Universal.  That did the same thing.  Last fall I sucked out most of the coolant from the coolant recovery tank.  Only what remains in the line from the cap to the recovery tank will drain out.  I will top this off in the spring.