suggestions for better ladder dinghy cleats

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

On MKll what have others done about cleats to tie dinghy at stern?  To get on and off the dink I tie/cleat it side to the ladder.  You can see by the picture the couple of ways I've tried to attach cleats to the ladder.  Limited by height and width when the ladder is up.  I don't want to drill thru the ladder, concerned that the holes would weaken the ladder.  I think putting cleats on the boat some place reachable from the dink would be a challenge getting to the back side.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Jim,

This is the first time I've ever heard of dinghy cleats. And truth be told where ever you install them I don't see the point. While I have a Mk I it has a similar arrangement with a swim platform and ladder. When boarding or exiting the dinghy the operator just holds the dinghy fast using the ladder then with a shackle on the painter secures the dinghy to the railing. As always it's your boat (and dinghy), your choice of course but this setup seems overly complex and time consuming. Two lines and two additional cleats to secure the dinghy and when the dinghy is tied abeam to the stern of the boat it's going to bang against the transom in all but the calmest of waters. It just seems it's going to create more problems than it's going to solve.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Jim : I just pull up to the boarding ladder (down) and with the dink tow line in hand I climb the ladder and attach the tow line to one of the boats stern cleats.

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Why not just use uour dinghy painter line and tie a few half hitches around the ladder tube or rungs?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Jim

Are you towing the dink by those?  I don't like the idea of using something (ladder) that you don't know how well it is affixed or has a backing plate.  Or are you using those cleats just while boarding? 
If you need something you can reach after you board the dink use a tug/release knot on a stern cleat or anywhere to be able to release the painter after you board the dink.  Or use a long enough painter that you can make a wrap around a rail or cleat and but will fly loose once you release the working end.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain