Bow Cleats

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I need to install port and starboard cleats as all moorings in my area are required to have two penants and I currently just have the one in the center.
I have read a lot of posts. I know I have to add the beckson ports. Looking at cleat options, I like the Schaefer versions that have studs not thru holes for screws. The studs are beefy 14mm for 8" and 16mm for 10". I am thinking of going with 10" cause my penants are 1" dia.
My question is, will I have room to swing a ratchet in between hull and anchor locker if I use the stud version? Figuring it would be a lot of 1/8 turns probably not a big deal, just want to check before I have to return yet another item to Defender Marine.
Thanks Paul
Hope you guys don't get tired of all my questions  :?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ed Shankle

Does the 2 pennant requirement also mean 2 cleats? Is the one center cleat big enough for 2 pennants? I've got 2, so it never occurred to me until now. Might be worth confirming to avoid another PITA job. I'm in the process of replacing my bow pulpit that got smashed in the hurricane last year and it's not to easy getting at the forward base nuts through the access port in the anchor well. Need to be built like Gollum...

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Testing the assumptions of the past 26 years:

One of our "leaders" in the technology of our boats, Ron Hill, was the first to document many, if not all, of the improvements that could made on our boats.  In this regard, he was the first IIRC to suggest that the single bow cleat was not necessarily the "best" arrangement, and he installed and DOCUMENTED how he put on his two extra bow cleats.  He specifically mentioned using the 4 inch round Beckson ports.

Now, it has just occurred to me that those 4 inch ports are kinda small and end up making it somewhat if not very hard to actually work up into the deck to install additional cleats.

Since the walls of the anchor locker are basically NON-structural, could it be that larger ports could be installed in the walls of the lockers to allow easier access?  What prompted this idea was recalling Lance Jones' great idea for access to the galley sink faucet, where he installed a large Beckson port in the wall behind the seats.

Just askin'...in this case, bigger might be better.

Any opinions?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Set2sea

Quote from: Ed Shankle on May 14, 2013, 09:56:45 AM
Does the 2 pennant requirement also mean 2 cleats? Is the one center cleat big enough for 2 pennants? I've got 2, so it never occurred to me until now. Might be worth confirming to avoid another PITA job. I'm in the process of replacing my bow pulpit that got smashed in the hurricane last year and it's not to easy getting at the forward base nuts through the access port in the anchor well. Need to be built like Gollum...

Ed
(First time I've done the quote thing so not sure if I am using it right?)
My buddies in my boat yard use the center cleat for both of their pennants but they have chocks where I want to put the cleats. So, I either have to put chocks or cleats there. We are in a pretty wide open mooring field, open to the north east. Normal conditions aren't the issue, it's usually the noreast storms we get in the fall that will put your tackle to the test. I would rather have the load split between two cleats as opposed to one if I have to make a change.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Stu Jackson

Yes, it looks like you figured out the quote feature.  Also be aware that you can edit within the ["quote] [/quote] limits if you want.

One cleat?  If the pennants are both pulling one could make the argument that there's no load on the cleat!   :clap

Chocks:  I believe they are the worst thing ever devised, since they turn out to be, inherently, line cutters.  Plus, to install them you have to do the same work as if you put in cleats, right?  I strongly recommend using cleats.  And, regardless of whether or not you stay on your mooring or move to a dock in the future, you'll find extra cleats to come in very handy.  We only installed one extra one on port, and it really helps, not only at our dock, but in raft ups, too.  Chocks suck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Set2sea

I agree whole heartedly about chocks :thumb:
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Kevin Henderson

QuoteSince the walls of the anchor locker are basically NON-structural, could it be that larger ports could be installed in the walls of the lockers to allow easier access?  What prompted this idea was recalling Lance Jones' great idea for access to the galley sink faucet, where he installed a large Beckson port in the wall behind the seats.
Thought I would chime in on this one as well. 
Stu.. you bring up a good point.  I'm getting ready to cut the holes for the beckson ports in my anchor locker.  (BTW.... I'm also going to cut the access hatch for the galley sink access as well at a later date... but thats for another thread :D).  I'm curious to know what others may think about going to a larger beckson  of around 6". 
I'm also looking to go with the 8" cleats on both sides. :abd: 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

mregan

I don't see a problem with the 6" Beckson.   I purchased the cleats and hope to get them installed in the near future so I'd be curious as to how you make out.

Stu Jackson

Kevin, part of my thrust was to consider using something that is not round, but rectangular, sorry I didn't make that clear. 

Beckson makes circular "ports" but also makes rectangular hatches:  http://www.beckson.com/hatches.html

Could be an alternative.  Perhaps there are other vendors, too. 

Of course, where you locate whatever you cut a hole for will make a huge difference on access to installing anything.

As Ron is fond of reminding us, too, remember to watch out for the wiring to the bow light, which, IIRC, is on the port side of the anchor locker.

Ted Pounds

I posted this before but I thought I'd give a friendly reminder - before you put the wrench in that port in the anchor-locker tie a piece of string to it.  That way WHEN  :shock: you drop the wrench you'll be able to easily retrieve it. 

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Set2 : I've put 2 anchor rode's on the center cleat many a time.  I usually use the side cleats to attach the pennants for the sentals that I slide down those rodes.

As far as the 4" Beckson ports I installed - I saw that the factory used 4" on the front of the anchor well and that the 6" is more expensive - so I went with the 4". 
As Stu said there is no strength involved with the anchor well pan, so if you want a larger port - go for it!!  The lower you install a port the better as the wires are high!!
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

I cleared out the anchor locker yesterday (that sucker is deep!).
After reaching thru 4" Beckson on the front wall of the locker, I am going to put the cleats in and see if I can reach over, seems doable? If not, then I cut in new ports :cry4`
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

patrice

Hi,
If you remove all of the wood panel in the V berth, it also give you acces to the space between hull and locker.
It can give you a view ...
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Set2 : As I recall I (right handed) could reach the starboard side to get the lock nuts/backing plate on, but needed to cut the Beckson port in to do the port side.  Maybe you are more of a contortionist that I am!!

Please do yourself a favor and install 8 inch cleats and NOT 6 inch.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Set2
Is this what you intend to do?
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia