Mounting gps on pedestal guard

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I want to install my Garmin 545 on the pedestal.  I haven't had a chance to look yet but does the base of the pedestal rest on the cockpit floor or does it penetrate the floor?  Wondering if I have to drill up from the aft berth to get into the pedestal rail and if so, will I need to seal around the hole so water doesn't get in the aft berth?  Would I access it from the fiberglass pedestal cover in the aft berth?

Steve Sayian

If you remove the fiberglass cover in the aft cabin, you'll have access to the bottom of the pedestal, steering cables, shift and throttle cables and any wires that are in the pedestal rails.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

mre : If you will look back a few years in the Mainsheet Tech Notes - you'll find my article and pictures of a Garmin 545 mounted on the steering pedestal guard with a 1" rail clamp.  

The information is out there, you just have to read.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

How do you search the tech notes?  

I can't find anything other than having to open each year and browse.

If I use SEARCH in the top of the window it searches the forum not the tech notes.

What year did you do this?

PS the search icon that indicates it will search the tech notes comes up with the same thing... it finds forum posts.

What heck am I doing wrong???

The first screen shot shows the search clearly stating search of the tech notes.

Second pic is the results....  which after opening a few are just forum posts.  
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Indian Falls on May 14, 2013, 07:50:16 AM
How do you search the tech notes?  

I can't find anything other than having to open each year and browse.  

Gentlemen,

This topic, A Quick Start Guide, http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5260.0.html, is a sticky on the Board.  It explains how to search.

The KNOWLEDGEBASE is right there on the Tech Notes Online page and was created for just this kind of question.  It is an Excel spreadsheet that has links to the tech notes and can be searched using the CTRL-F function in Excel.

That KNOWLEDGEBASE was created, with a great amount of volunteer effort and work, by the late Commodore Jon Schneider.  It is there for your USE.

When Ron Hill says "It's there, but you have to read it," we have worked as hard as we could to make it easier for you to find stuff.  That's why I wrote "A Quick Start Guide," but like Ron says, if you don't read it... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

This is a problem, it should say click the Knowledge base to search the Tech notes because there is a misleading search (which I pictured) and states it searches the tech notes which it doesn't. 

I've been a member 3 years and "Knowledge base" didn't turn on a light bulb for me, logically I wanted to search the tech notes not download a knowledge base, but you know how.  I was mislead!

Hope this helps!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Dan, the Knowledgebase searches the Tech Notes AND the wiki AND the old Projects AND the old FAQs.  WADR, I'm sorry we couldn't make it only for the Tech Notes, but we felt it was a superior "product" if it searched even more.

The Quick Guide topic says this:

I also recommend downloading and reading the "All Articles" tab of the Knowledgebase, which includes both the FAQs Page and the Project Page subjects.  It's a simple XLS spreadsheet.  You get there by clicking on C34 Tech Notes at the top of any message board page.

and this:

Finally, the Tech Notes Index is available here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3096.0.html.  You can print out this long thread by clicking on the blue "Print" button at the lower right of any of these message board pages. I've printed many of these topics out and keep them in my reference file or on the boat.  The Tech Notes Index is also the core of the Knowledgebase, which includes both the Projects and FAQs.

If you download the Excel file, when you open it there are three tabs on the bottom:  Introduction, All Articles and FYI categories.  I use the All Articles tab and use CTRL-F to search there.

I'm not sure what could be easier.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

In response to the original question, you most likely have the 1 inch diameter Edson pedestal guard.  The guard goes through a bracket that mounts below the compass on the pedestal and the bottom of the guard sits in "feet" that are through-bolted through the cabin deck.  There are almost certainly holes already drilled through the deck that should be of roughly the same diameter as the pedestal guard but could be smaller.  You can access these holes by taking off the fiberglass cover but in order to run wires, you are going to have to take off the two aft cabin wall panels. 

Are you planning on mounting the chartplotter in a Navpod or the Edson equivalent between the two legs of the pedestal guard?   
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Kevin Henderson

MRE:

Firstly let me apologize for the quality of my picture but it was the only one immediately available to show.  
That being said.  Although my GPS is the Garmin 441 and somewhat smaller, your installation desire may be similar.  I used the Edson GPS Mount for the pedestal.  I then ran the wires into my Navpod and from there tied into my power.  There was no need to drill another hole in the stainless and the only hole I needed was into the navpod and sealed with a gasket around the wire.  It works great for me since I can swing the GPS around to either the side or view from the middle.  I can also rotate it around and view it from forward of the wheel.
Just an idea..  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Dave Spencer

mreagan,
Here is a picture of what you are likely to see looking at the underside of the pedestal from the aft cabin.  You can see the large backing plate secures the pedestal in place.  The red cables are the shifter (port side) and throttle (stbd).  You will likely see a compass light cable running up through the pedestal but other cables are shown running up the port side of the pedestal guard (on my boat) feeding the navpod.  Last week, I drilled a hole in the stbd side to accommodate my new X-5 autopilot.  I was surprised to see the pedestal guard retaining feet are not through bolted on my boat but are just screwed in place.  I bedded the feet with butyl tape and I'll fix the through bolting situation shortly.  Good luck with your installation
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

mregan

Thanks for the pictures, it helps.  The PO didn't have any instruments mounted on the pedestal so I'm not sure if there is a hole through the deck from the guard.  If not I'll have to drill one.  If I loosen the guard bolts,  will I be able to pull the guard up enough to drill a pilot hole down through the deck or do I need to drill up from above?

Dave Spencer

I had success by loosening the retaining foot moving the guard partially out of the way and drilling from above.  That way, there is no chance of putting a hole in the wrong place. 

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Clay Greene

There should be a set screw in the foot. Loosen both and you should be able to pull the guard up through the bracket holes. I agree that drilling down is the way to go. Bed the feet with butyl tape when you reinstall.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin