Drain hole at bottom of mast?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.   

When I purchase our boat 4 years ago the guy doing the survey recommended drilling at drain hole at the bottom of the mast to let the water out easier.   Well, the mast is down for repainting and trucking.   

I do remember moving the wires where they come out close to the bottom of the mast after a good winter storm and having water come out.   There was lots of dirt around the bracket that the mast sites on that may have reduced the drainage there.   

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jim Hardesty

Had same problem.  Drilled a 1/4" hole just above the mast socket level and in the mast extrusion where the sail slides would go (all the way aft).
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Bob : With a keel stepped mast there is no need to drill a hole as the water will come out by itself.

Jim : I agree with the hole for your decked stepped mast. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

chrisyse

Hi,
Hope someone is still looking at this topic. I'd like to keep the bilge in my 34 drier. So I wonder if anyone has added a mast drain which routes the water into a bucket in the bilge. I plan to drill and file a square hole at the bottom of my keel stepped mast, as low down as possible and press in a 2" long  1/2" diameter or so plastic tube. Any prior examples or thoughts? I didn't see any in tech notes.

Thanks
Chris

Joe Holmes

I forget where I saw it but someone had made a stainless steel tray that fit under the mast "seat" and had raised edges with a drain at one end.  This would surely collect all water running down the inside, and direct it into a container in the bilge.  Looked like a good idea.  Easdy to empty the container periodically and keep the bilge dry(er).
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Jeff Tancock

It would be even better if someone figured out how to stop the water from getting into the mast in the first place.....
I've only had the mast down once in the last 16 years, but would do it again to stop the relentless inflow of water from any rain if there was a way.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jeff Tancock on November 28, 2014, 08:52:07 AM
It would be even better if someone figured out how to stop the water from getting into the mast in the first place.....
I've only had the mast down once in the last 16 years, but would do it again to stop the relentless inflow of water from any rain if there was a way.

Some of the C30 folks have added a s/s plate to close off the open truck.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : On a keel stepped mast - I tried for 25 years and was unable to stop the rain water, I could reduce the flow, but not stop it completely!!  
Maybe take off the stuff on the top of the mast (VHF antenna, wind inst, windex, etc) and put a heavy plastic bag over the top - and you might stop the rain from blowing in!!
That would mean a trip up the mast in spring to reinstall everything - although it would keep the rain out.

To put a seal on the bottom of the mast - bad idea to trap the water and let it freeze inside the mast - dumb. 
In a warm climate the water would rise to level of the hole where the wire come out the front of the mast - so what have you solved?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 28, 2014, 01:00:14 PM
Guys : On a keel stepped mast - I tried for 25 years and was unable to stop the rain water, I could reduce the flow, but not stop it completely!! 
Maybe take off the stuff on the top of the mast (VHF antenna, wind inst, windex, etc) and put a heavy plastic bag over the top - and you might stop the rain from blowing in!!

To put a seal on the bottom of the mast trunk - bad idea to trap the water and let it freeze inside the mast - dumb.

A thought

Not mast truNk, mast truCk. 
The s/s plate goes over the top of the truck.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: chrisyse on November 28, 2014, 05:36:26 AM
Hi,
Hope someone is still looking at this topic. I'd like to keep the bilge in my 34 drier. So I wonder if anyone has added a mast drain which routes the water into a bucket in the bilge. I plan to drill and file a square hole at the bottom of my keel stepped mast, as low down as possible and press in a 2" long  1/2" diameter or so plastic tube. Any prior examples or thoughts? I didn't see any in tech notes.

Thanks
Chris

For the deck stepper:

Some of the C30 steps had a little raised lip, so all we do is just file a flat and file a corresponding notch in the mast.  Most had a flat step, sp all that was necessary was the notch.   If C34 is similar - really no need for any plastic tubing there.

kk

Ron Hill

Guys : Go to page 4.1.5 of your C34 owner manual and you'll see that the mast cap covers the entire top.  The only openings are at the front (bow) and the back (stern) for the halyards to exit.
Also there is a bail for the spinnaker halyard block on the bow side attached to the top of the mast cap.  No truck to be identified by Catalina on the keel stepped mast head.

I have seen one owner that had an elaborate tube system that drained into a small container in the bilge.  I've also heard of owners that have installed a drain hole in the hull so the water would drain out when the hull was on dry land!?!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788