Engine not turning over

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Paulus on May 16, 2013, 04:01:26 AM
Check your ground wire from the engine control panel especially at the connectors.  This gave me similar problems a couples  back.  Engine on occasion would not start.
Paul

Good idea.

That's why we wrote the CRITICAL UPGRADES thread.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : To emphasize what Paul said : "Check your ground wire from the engine control panel especially at the connectors.  This gave me similar problems a couples  back.  Engine on occasion would not start. Paul"

In the short 27 seasons that I've had my C34, I've found that if there is a circuit problem it usually (way over 50%) the ground wire.  You need to clean them (grounds) and constantly check them. 
Sometimes it's handy to have a long piece of #10 wire with alligator clips an use it as a jumper when testing circuits.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Well, I got the engine going today.  Want to thank everyone for the help.  Turns out it was the engine ground connection.  The bolt was rusted and all the connections had corrosion on them.  Cleaned all the connections and replaced the bolt.  The original was steel.  I replaced it with stainless.  All I had on me.  Should I change the stainless back to a new steel bolt.  I'm worried about corrosion with dissimilar metals.

I also replaced my glowplugs.  Changing them first didn't make any change to the engine start-up. Was getting the same start-up problem.  Yesterday I had purchased a ratchet extension to allow me to get the ground bolt off.  Could get the ratchet in without the 10" extension.

The old glowplugs had quite a bit of soot buildup on the tips.  Not sure if that causes problems when they are working.  Just a FYI in case anyone else is planning on replacing them.  I used NGK Y103V glowplugs.  To remove the old you need a 12mm wrench.  Also need a 12mm for the new and a 8mm wrench to install the new nuts to secure the wiring.  Try to get a short handle wrench.  The standard length was tough to fit.

Ted Pounds

Stainless and regular steel are fine together so no corrosion problems.  :thumb:  Probably should make sure you have lock-washer on it...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

mre : What I did when I first got the boat (1989) was to take that main ground connection to the port side bell housing, remove it and solder the ring connector.  Then I sanded the paint off the bell housing where it connected, bolted it on and sprayed the connection with the BoeShield T-9.  I never ever had a problem.

I spry BoeShield on most all of the connection I make - keeps them from cording. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788