Thru hulls

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

I am replacing the three thru hulls located under the sink in the head. Two are 1/2 inch and one is 3/4.  I have read Mainesails excellent article and want to do this properly.

I have 3 bronze seacock with flanges but they are all 3/4 inch.  Is there any reason not to drilll the hole in the boat larger and use 3/4 thru hulls for the engine and head intake? If i do so, what is the best way to connect the 1/2 inch hoses to the 3/4 seacock?

Thanks

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Jim Hardesty

Greg,
Get some thing like this in bronze.  The link is for brass not a great choice.  Plastic may be OK.

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/102-xx.htm

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

DO NOT use brass, ever.  The only "plastic" that is acceptable is Marelon which is glass reinforced nylon.  I would stick with the same size thru-hulls to make it simple and not have to worry about adapting to the hoses, but that's just me...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Dave Spencer

Greg,
I don't see anything wrong with increasing the size of the through hulls and adapting down as Jim suggested; especially if you already have some good flanged bronze 3/4" seacocks which are expensive.  I followed Mainesail's directions when I replaced all of the through hulls on my previous boat - a 1978 CS27 that was fitted with (gulp) gate valves.  It was lots of work but things went well. 
Be careful with the through hull fittings though.  I was considering replacing the OEM Marelon through hulls on my C34 with new ones; preferably bronze.  But the flush flange on the through hull has a huge outside diameter and I couldn't find any new through hull fittings that would match so I left them alone.  The pictures below show the through hulls under the head sink.  I had scraped away a little of the fairing material around the fitting when I took these pictures.

Good luck with your refit.  Keep us up to date with pictures!
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario