Exhaust Water Leaks

Previous topic - Next topic

sail4dale

True Luff #1582
I've a water leak in my exhaust line just where the hose is clamped to the water lift.  A double clamp and tightening doesn't help.  Of course it leaks only when the engine is running.

Questions:
Is there a "CO" danger?
Does this problem have a "simple solution?

jentine

Don't run the engine.  After all, it is a sail boat.
Jim Kane :rolleyes:

Stu Jackson

K & A

Unusual for such a new boat.

Check out this message board post:

http://c34.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=508296417&f=318296417&m=5112929994

Also try doing searches on the message board and the main site under hump hose.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rdavison

Stu, do you (or anyone) know when the Aqualift mufflers were made stronger at the inlets and outlets?  Mine shows signs of crazing and the beginning of a leak but only on the outlet side.

I'm tempted to do the epoxy or Marinetex fix mentioned and am assuming that the internal pressure in the muffler must not be very high or leaks would rapidly progress to wholesale failure - true?  I hear this little voice whispering about fixing pressurized vessels by placing material on the outside and about potential CO leakage.

Any recent thoughts or doubts? Ron, how about you?

Randy Davison  k7voe

Stu Jackson

Randy

Don't know if they were ever made stronger, but rather the use of the hump hose seemed to help to prevent the problem as discussed in the referenced post.

Ron replaced his, I chose to do the lip rebuild method as Larry did earlier.

Haven't heard the CO voices.  I'm not sure that there is a "great" deal of pressure involved.  After all, the pressure required is only that needed to push up out the long exhaust tube and overboard, but there is some there for sure.

The only catastrophic failure I've had was the alternator bracket (see FAQs and Projects).  All the others seem to be creeping up slowly but surely.

I would choose to do what you feel comfortable with.  If the entire box seems questionable to you, do Ron's replacement (way fun!).  I just keep checking mine regularly, as did Larry.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rdavison

Ron and Stu - Thanks for your comments. I'll pull it apart, inspect further, and post what I find and decide to do.

Randy Davison  k7voe