replace drain tube/banjo fitting with drain plug?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Does anyone ever replace the oil drain tube/banjo fitting and replace with a standard (metric 12) drain plug?  Oil change then through dip stick   Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kirk : Don't know of anyone that did what you asked.  I'll guess why is that it wouldn't really help as you can't get much of an oil catching container under the low oil pan.

I recommend to anyone that removes the oil pan on an M25, M25XP & M35 engine, to move the banjo oil fitting to the rear of the oil pan and fill the old hole with a plug.  Then you'll be able to get 99% of the oil out when you change it.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Kerk, your suggestion could be considered as "going backwards" because many of us started out using the dipstick method and then "advanced" to using the built-in larger hose.  The reason is that the larger hose makes it easier to remove the oil.  There was also a thread on another boating forum recently where the skipper lost the extraction tube INSIDE the dipstick!  Definitely NOT good.

What I did was to buy a fitting at a hardware store that matched the threads on the oil pan drain hose and connected that to the end of my hand pump hose.  It makes oil changes very easy.

If you want to try your method, I recommend that you simply try using the dipstick BEFORE you remove the hose, to see if it works for you.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

cmainprize

I have considered moving the drain plug to the rear of the pan to try and get out more of the old oil.  Anyone care to speculate how much of the old oil I can't get out?  And If I remove the pan would I need to change the pan gaskets or are they reuseable.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stu Jackson

My experience is that you get 3 of the 4 quarts out during any oil change.  That's more than enough for me with regular oil changes, and does not warrant, for me at least, making the change.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Steve W10

Hey Kerk, I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Never been able to use the current set-up effectively - probably the pumps I've tried.  I've just been lining the catch basin with a garbage bag and then using two 1 litre jugs cut in half to drain the thing.  Generally pretty messy.

Wonder if anyone has a proven pump to use with the existing hose?  Brand? Part number? anything?

Steve

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on April 25, 2013, 05:14:02 PM
1.   I've just been lining the catch basin with a garbage bag and then using two 1 litre jugs cut in half to drain the thing.  Generally pretty messy.

2.  Wonder if anyone has a proven pump to use with the existing hose?  Brand? Part number? anything?

1.  That's the OLD way, written up by Herb Schneider in 1987!

2.  Try this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg29356.html#msg29356

Ron Hill

GUYS : The only reason that I mentioned to move the drain plug is IF you had to remove the engine or oil pan -to do it then. 
Otherwise I'd just be satisfied on getting 3+ qts of the 4 qts out during an oil change!!

Most if not all oil pan agskets that I've seen are ONE time use!!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Steve W10

Thanks Stu.

By this autumn (next oil change) I'll make sure to get a pump as suggested.

Ron, I totally agree; I'd not do that unless pulling the engine.

Steve

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Another alternative is to buy a case of beer and see how many buddies you can get to stand up by the bow to get the required tilt of the oil pan.   :devil
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jim Hardesty

To change the oil I use a vacuum pump with a built in can.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=304503&langId=-1&searchKeyword=big+boy

Just take the cap from the hose.  Screw on a barbed adaptor from a hardware store.  Hook up the hose on the pump.  A few pumps and the oil is out.  Best part is that nothing needs to be cleaned, no oil goes through the pump.  Just be a little carefull with the hose and carry the can of used oil to be recycled.
Everyone has their favorite way to do things.  Just thought I'd share mine.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA