Where to Purchase Cockpit Floor Inserts

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

Has anyone purchased a set of  teak or mahogany cockpit floor inserts for their 34? If so, who was the supplier and what was the approximate cost?

[This message was edited by Dan Harrington, #1289, 1994, "Weal Sea" on January 09, 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

cholder

If you look in the Catalina Mag, you'll see an advert from a company in the San Juan Island, WA.  I think they're called Teak Concepts.  I'm sure they will make inserts for you.

Alternatively, go to West Marine and you can buy precut teak to make up gratings.

SailDan

Thanks for the suggestion Charles,

After posting my inquiry regarding a source of cockpit floor inserts, I received the following message from Dave Graas at Catalina:

"Dan,
The cost
(of cockpit inserts) is $1375.00  plus shipping. Please call our parts department at 818-884-7700 ext 259 to order.
Thanks!
David Graas - Technical Support"

SailDan

Ron,
You’re correct …..  teak is not cheap and the $ Catalina is asking for the cockpit inserts (grate) may be reasonable.  However, I’ve decided to make my own out of mahogany... with lots of help from a fellow C-34 owner, Ben Holland (“ChriSea”, 1988  #832).  I’ll try to post the results with photos (and plans) on this website (projects page) so other C-34 owners can “give it a go” if so inclined.
Dan

pklein

There is a type of tropical hardwood called IPE that is used most often for decking.  I have used if for some outdoor applications and it seems to be very unaffected after 4 years of exposure to Chicago weather.  I believe it is a lot less expensive but I have no idea of how it would work if ripped into narrow boards.  You might check it out since a cockpit floor is not going to be the most visible feature of your boat.

I'm interested in your plans and success.  I've got a fairly complete woodshop and might think of doing this too.  

Wish I could tell you more about IPE.  So far everything I have made on the boat has been teak because of its visibility and proximity to other teak features.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

rm_fleming

I will be looking forward to your progress and the sharing of your outcome.  I too, have been seriously considering making my own.

Mark Wey

Just returned from a Jr. B hockey game. We (Stratford Cullitons) won 7-5. If you are up here in the "Great White North" (Ontario, Canada) this is what you do when the water is hard. I have recently purchased a 1990 C-34 in Oct 2002. It has a teak cockpit floor in excellent condition. Looks beautiful. I had nothing but a F/G floor in my C-30 and am wondering what all the fuss is about. It looks great and I am sure feels great on bare feet. However I am sure, like all teak it requires an anual ritual. Is there anything I am missing regarding the teak floor. I do know, that at the end of last year. At haul out last fall, when I purchased the boat and lifted the cockpit floor before winter storage it was a real mess and hard to clean. Also the wood did scar the cockpit sole enough that I will probably never be able to remove the teak floor because of the unsightly scars in the gelcote. Don't get me wrong I think I will love the floor. But it is 20 degrees below zero right now in Canada and I have just returned (yesterday) from the Totonto (Canada) Boat Show (Have I got a deal for you). I require some of my C-34 friends with much more experience than I to set my mind at ease. I have so many things to pick your brains about. Thank you in advance.

Mark Wey
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

SailDan

Mark,
Weal Sea's new cockpit floor inserts were completed last week.  We used inserts on ChriSea #832 (Ben Holland & Chris Hanika's C-34) for the pattern.  ChriSea's inserts had "pads" on the underside which prevent ;) scoring of the fiber glass. See my latest post on this BB with some pictures.
Dan
Weal Sea #1289

SailDan

Phill,
Ben Holland, who "knowns wood!" is unfamilar with the tropical hardwood your call IPE. Ben had some extra mahogany in his shop so we went with that in making the inserts... cheaper than teak.
Dan
Weal Sea #1289
PS... see you at the "Chicago Strictly Sail Boat Show" (at Navy Pier) next weekend (Jan 30 - Feb 2'03) and/or at the Chicago All Catalina Fleet 21 meeting after the show on Saturday evening.
Dan
Weal Sea #1289

Mark Wey

Dan the pads on the wood to protect the fibre glass are a great idea. I just hope you keep your eye on the padding and don't allow it to wear through. To late for my 1990 but should help all newer boats.

Mark Wey
Mark Wey
2004 C-36