C34 Slip consideration

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Just want to share and give credit to where my humble docking skills started.  Captain Jack Klang, he goes to many of the boat shows with Quantum Sails.  He's the guy with the carpet, boat models, push sticks and a crowd around.  The thing that I do differntly is keep a "catch line" on a hanger at the end of my dock put that on a midship cleat, a little power, a little rudder, and I'm docked and ready for the rest of the dock lines at my ease.  My bookmark for his docking video sampler didn't work, with a little googling you may find one.  Here is a link to a pfd

http://www.fsc.com.au/cproot/442/3/DockingManeuvering.pdf

Docking should not be exciting.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

IIRC, Klang's video has a link here:

Single Handing 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html

And Kevin is already a "proponent" of the midships spring line!  :clap

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Boy nothing brings up some spirited conversation like the topic of docking challenges  :nail

I am a HUGE proponent of the mid ship cleat and the aft spring line.  (And so are my dock neighbors now after seeing how utterly non-eventful it is pulling into the slip)  8)

That being said... More on the topic of the challenge of the aforementioned slip assignment at Fiddlers Cove.

This weekend, the Admiral and I went out and motored around the area challenging ourselves with some drills of emergency backing and generally getting a good feel for the boat in reverse.
I found out (surprisingly) that the C34 backs pretty nicely and well controlled with throttle and once you get some wash across the rudder.  However... It's that moment from complete stop to very low speed in reverse (2kt)  that I feel slightly out of control.  We're going to keep working but the drills we did this weekend were of great benefit. 
We were using a very large fairway at the marina with several empty slips.  (Of course it is also right in view of the restaurant and observation deck... which brings to mind that docking a boat in a marina is also considered a "spectator sport").  :think  The Admiral was very impressed with my close quarter maneuvering, backing and pivoting.  I felt in complete control the entire time.  Afterwards we had heard from some friends that a bunch of people in the restaurant were wondering "what's that boat doing out there, backing, pivoting and generally going back and forth and in circles?"
I was quite glad to hear that several folks made the comment that "he looks like he's calm and in control so no worries"  (If only they knew the white knuckle terror that is in my mind when spinning my boat around in close quarters). :shock: :shock: 

The practice will continue for our upcoming slip assignment and I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW... Jack Klang is awesome! 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ken Juul

When starting the backing maneuver, I find it is most effective to turn the wheel about 1/4 turn to stbd so it begins counteracting the propwash as soon as it has some flow.  Use burst of max power to get reverse started then when you have reverse steerage throttle as necessary.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kevin Henderson

Thought I would provide an update on my slip situation.

We went over to Fiddlers Cove this past weekend and lo and behold, the dockmaster offered up another slip for consideration. 
The Admiral and I were both a bit anxious about the learning curve for backing stern to in the first slip.  (although I'm getting some pretty mad skills backing around and pivoting in close quarters now  :D ) So we gave the newly offered slip a look. 
We decided to take the offer based on a couple factors. 
1.  We don't HAVE to back in
2.  The fairway behind us is a full 50+ feet
3.  The cockpit view offers a view of downtown San Diego and the Coronado Bay Bridge while inport.
4.  Since a lot of sailing lessons and Kayakers/paddleboarders frequent the main basin of the marina we don't have to navigate through them everytime to get to our slip.
5.  And probably the biggest factor is... It's an upwind slip  :thumb:

The single biggest downside of the slip is it is not a single berth slip so I do have another boat directly on one side of me... but I think thats minor.
The other concern is a shallow area at low tide that is a bit on the skinny side to navigate to the fairway, but still offers plenty of depth.

Cleaned out the dockbox and going to stow the dinghy on the foredeck for the big move next weekend to our new home.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jim Hardesty

Glad it worked out for you.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

I believe that you have a better slip, especially being upwind. 
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

Not only will you love the upwind slip, you will walk to port when you go for a sail, so that slip is perfect !  I am sure you will love it!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Clay Greene

Looks a lot like our slip except for the fact that you're in sunny San Diego and I am in frigid Wisconsin, where we are looking at the possibility snow tomorrow.  Enjoy your new home!
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Kevin,
I know it's been awhile but how are you liking your slip at Fiddlers Cove? Even though I don't have my boat anymore, I still maintain a membership with the Navy Yacht Club for the reciprical benefits.
If you see Curt, the dockmaster, could you ask him if Tony Van Houwling is still a member and has his boat there. I sailed with Tony when he brought his boat back from Lapaz Mexico and met some good folks at the yacht club.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

Hi Mike,

Fiddlers is absolutely amazing!  It's so nice to be in a marina that is in a natural cove and soooo laid back.  If your ever in the area, stop by.  I just saw Curt today and the Navy Yacht club is doing really really well.  Lots of great activities (and the recipricol benefits can't be beat).  The docks are not all fancy and we don't have world class amenities but it's got great personality. 
PM me anytime if your looking to be in the area!!
I'll ask about Tony.
~Henry David Thoreau