Insulating the Ice Box

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Insulated the ice box on my 1986 yesterday.  Still have a bit more to do but got all the hard spots filled.  I had pulled the countertops off to make new ones so I had the bare fiberglass underneath the countertop to drill holes around the voids on the sides and back of the ice box.  I found out, the top 2" or so all around the box was already filled with spray foam from the factory.  Everything below had no insulation. 
I had pulled out the 3 drawers and frame to get better access.  Between the icebox and oven side there is a 1" gap.  I had already removed the oven so I drilled a bunch of holes in the side and injected the foam.  To get to the back, I drilled a couple of holes along the top almost against the hull.   This let me gain access to the back area.  There looked to be a 2-3" gap there.  The bottom I was able to get at when I removed the 3 drawers as well as 2 sides of the ice box facing the 3 drawers and the dinette seating.  These to open sides I need to finish insulating. 
I ran out of foam.  I had bought 2 2-part mix containers of spray foam.  Comes as a kit.  There are 2 containers attached with a hose an nozzle.  It handles 12 board feet.  12 sq ft x 1" thick.  Used up both of these then ran out and bought 6 cans of spray foam at Lowes.  The two open sides I plan in spray foaming 1 side of 2" thick styrofoam board then press the board against the ice box.  If you just spray the foam on the side of the box the weight of it makes it fall off.  Figure if I spray it on the styrofoam then press that against the ice box, it will fil in any gaps along the icebox.

Ron Hill

mre : Don't forget the bow side of your fridge.  Look at the back side of the seat cushion that is on that side a see if there is any mildue?  

I used some contact cement to glue on a piece of double foil faced 1/2" styrafoam insulation just under the teak trim down to where the "seat" joins.  Then the cushion snaps in and fits over it nicely.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Ron
I got all sides covered.  Like mentioned above, I used expandable foam to fill the starboard side, stern side & bottom.  There was a 2-2 1/2" gap between the bow side and the fiberglassed back of the dinette seating.  Used a combination of 2" styrofoam board and expandable foam.  On the port side facing the 3 drawers, I sprayed expandable foam on the back of 2" styrofoam board, then pressed that against the ice box.  The side of the icebox isn't flat so I figured the foam would fill in any gaps between the icebox and styrofoam board.  Also wrapped a piece of a plastic grocery bag around the drain fitting.  This way if I ever need to remove it, it won't be stuck to the foam.
Just purchased a new Engel refrigeration unit.  Hopefully will get installed next week.
I made a new countertop also.  Re-used the ice box top but it is slightly warped so it doesn't sit flush in the cutout in the countertop.  I plan on installing hinges on the back side and a latch on the front.  Looks similiar to the original latch but it locks in place.  This will keep the hatch secured and sitting flush.  If I can, I'm hoping to install a thin rubber gasket on the underside of the ice box top to get a better seal when it's shut.  I think once I'm done, I'll have a pretty well insulated ice box.
I'll post pictures when I finally get it installed.