help with Catalina Direct

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Yesterday I checked with Catalina Direct for rigging.  I want to replace my boom topping lift rigging but the only one they seemed to list is for the C36 standard or tall rig.  Am I missing something or don't they have any for the C34?  Is this a regular source or just a place for overstock items?

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

Steve McGill

Steve,

Catalinadirect.com is seperate business, (not related to Catalina Yachts that built our boats) they try and determine what will sell and will increase product availability based on that.

When I needed a new topping lift I contacted Catalina Yachts, gave my boat year and rig type (tall or standard) and a credit card.
The following week I had the topping lift. Their phone is listed in many postings here.

I'm sure Catalina direct could also supply it if you give them a call.

Good luck,

Steve M.
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Steve : As I recall the Tall rig C34 is the same height as the Standard C36.

Another option is to make your own at West Marine or a local chandlery.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Thank You Ron;

I'll check the measurements against the 36.  I guess me bigger issue was being new to the Catalina family again (previous C27 from 1988-1991) is wondering how comprehensive Catalina Direct is as a supplier of parts for my C34.  I bought #854 last year and need to go through things this spring.  Standing rigging, masthead hardware, etc. and it would be nice to have a good source for items specific to Catalina, especially the C34.  Not sure if I'm making sense about this.

Sincerely
Steve

Les Luzar

Don't assume that just because their name is Catalina Direct that they are going to supply you any original standard parts from Catalina Yachts. When I neede a new bow light fixture, I called them because I thought that they would supply a copatible part. They did not. But I did find the original "Aqua Signal" part at West Marine. When I had a broken Anchor locker hinge, I bought a set from Catalina Direct, and found out that he hold pattern did not match. I found a matching "Perko" hinge at Minnies Yacht Surplus. So my warning to you is know exactly what you need by brand if possible, and question them. As they say, let the buyer beware. When my topping lift needed replacement, I had a local rigger come and install one. I had him inspect my rig while he was up there. Basically, I have had my C-34 for seven years, and I consider Catalina Direct no different than any other mailorder marine supplier.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

stevewitt1

Les

Ok, I thought Catalina Direct was associated with Catalina Yachts.

If they were (are) they really need to rethink their marketing strategy.  Of course there are companies that just decide they've made too much money already, are tired of carrying bushel baskets of money to the bank at the end of the week and just want other companies to share. 

I wish competitors in my industry felt like they do :?

Steve

Ron Hill

Steve : It has been my experience that Catalina Direct is a bit pricy!!  If you can get it from mail order or local or Catalina Yachts - you can do it at a lesser price. 
Catalina factory will give you an exact replacement if you give them your hull # and production year. I have heard that they are not a good as they used to be before they moved to Fl. 

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

Thanks Ron,

I guess I just get somewhat disturbed when I see any company waste market potential or do a "less than great" attempt at servicing their customer.

I live almost exactly between Marquis (Carver Yachts) and Cruiser Yachts and know many people that work at both, from on the production line to the former CEO of one.  I've seen some caviler attitudes from many companies and mostly very accommodating and friendly attitudes from these local industries.  Several times when looking for an item, talking to these people I've made it clear that I'm not in the market for one of their beautiful but expensive yachts.  Almost inevitably the answer was always, "Maybe not, but you just may someday in the future or have an acquaintance you know that might be."

Just my 2ยข worth.

Frustrated at times, Steve

When my ship finally comes in, I'll probably be at the airport!

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Catalina Yachts California (818)884-7700
                      Florida     (727)544-6681
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Steve, you seem somewhat overwrought about this one issue.  Please know that Catalina Direct is a very good company.  They started out by providing Catalina 22 parts from Sacramento.  They grew to the Catalina 25 parts provider, and then only relatively recently to the larger boats.  They developed very good manuals and improvement books for the C22 and C25 that those skippers really appreciate.  They are a good, but not the ONLY source of equipment for our boats.  They have (unfortunately expensive) exhaust risers for M25 series engines, and new mufflers, too, for our boats.  If I wanted to buy a big piece of gear, I'd try them AND Catalina Yachts, as well as the suggested other online resources.  They are a good source for hump hose, too.  Please, don't knock 'em, they're good guys.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Stu
Please don't misunderstand me.  As I mentioned, I thought there was a direct relationship between Catalina Direct and Catalina Yachts such as owned and operating from the same ownership and inventory.  Be that the case, then I found their inventory selection extremely thin as it pertains specifically to the C34 models.
I don't intend on judging them as I have never even talked to anyone there, nor ordered anything.

If, and only if, Catalina Direct was basically owned and operated by Catalina Yachts, then I felt they weren't tapping their market potential.  This was based completely on what I saw when I clicked on rigging.  My initial question was based specifically on that which I saw available and wasn't sure if I was looking at their inventory correctly.  As I looked at the quite diversified type of items in certain categories where they may have items for several models but then only certain models of other items it did make me question if it was mostly overstock factory items only.

I guess I'm guilty of interpreting their name in a more literal way..... Catalina Direct; as in buying parts directly from Catalina Yachts.  If that were the case and they don't just deal in overstock, then I would stand by my analysis that they aren't close to maximizing market potential.  That, in no way, infers that they aren't wonderful people to deal with. 

And remember, this business analysis is only my unsolicited opinion.  If that were of great value I would probably be sailing a new C445 but I'm not.

Steve

Kevin Henderson

When I first starting shopping with Catalina Direct, I too thought they were affiliated directly to Catalina Yachts. :donno: 
Now that I understand that, and... understanding that they can be a bit pricey for some items, I have evertheless ordered several things from Catalina Direct.  I can state that I have had 100% satisfaction with everything I have ordered and have never had a problem with a return.

I'm a big time web shopper online and I like to think that if Catalina Yachts had a parts department website to purchase from, it would look a lot like Catalina Direct.   :abd:

Can't spare 2 cents tonight but I thought I'd throw a penny in  :D
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Assuming that CD is part of CY may not be baseless, but a little research on their website, click on "About Us" goes a long way to better understand who they are.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=25

The main home page also discusses their bakground.

I do note that nowhere do they say "We are NOT part of Catalina Yachts."  Is this a big failure on their part?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Stu

Thanks again for the info. 
Yes, their "about us" does shed light on the company.  Given the facts and history I now have a better understanding of CD.

I do believe the inference is too easily taken that this is a company with direct (pun intended) ties to Catalina Yachts.  I believe it was a very smart move on their part to name it such.  Personally, I feel with the benefit of a name like that, could very well come a significant high level of expectation on the part of the customer (such as someone like me that is pretty good at making assumptions, and we all know about that word

I do apologize for any confusion I may have caused by my thread.  I, in no way, meant to question CD's integrity or way of doing business.  I was simply first, wondering if I was navigating their website correctly and second, just making personal marketing observations that I thought I stated were given only based on certain assumptions such as: if the CD was part of CY and so on.  My perceived disappointment on the limited product line was only based on IF CD was Directly from Catalina Yachts or basically the manufacturer's parts source.

What CD does show me is that they might be an excellent company to contact if a person designs a product that offers a significant upgrade to an existing Catalina model.

I hope I've explained myself with clarity and again apologize for any confusion.

Sincerely
Steve

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Here's my three cents worth. I have always given Catalina Yachts the first shot at my search for parts and they have always came through and always at a cheaper price than Catalina Dirrect when the same item was available at both places. Granted, they do not have a website to search for things and they are a bit "old school" but the people I've worked with on the phone have always been very helpful and knowledgeable. Catalina Dirrect is also a good source for some things but it pays to check both to compare.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net