Is this head stay OK?

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I've had the mast down for the first time since we owned the boat.  Is this defect in the head stay cable at the mast head a concern?  This is at the top, above the foils for the head sail.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ted Pounds

I'm not an expert.  But, considering how critical the headstay is, I would definitely replace it. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jim Hardesty

I'd have a good professional rigger inspect it.  The wire is probably OK.  The damage being so close to the fitting, the fitting may be damaged.  That would be my concern.  Seeing the boats age, if the rig hasn't been checked recently, it's time.
Think this was done when the mast was unsteped this time?  Or has it been like this?  I belive that when the headstay is tentioned the wire would straighten and be less noticible.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

What kind of furling system do you have?  Do you have a halyard restrainer?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dan : What has happened is that you head stay cable has come "unlayed".  I don't believe that it has seriously changed the strength.  However, your boat is a 1990 and the recommendations of most sail boat manufacturers is to change out the rigging around 15 -20 years.  

Your boat's head stay life is well beyond that 20years - are you trying for a record?  
Remember that of the standing rigging, the most difficult to inspect (if not impossible) is the head stay because it's covered by the roller furling.

It looks like your continuous line Hood 915 has served you well.  You might consider treating yourself to a new head stay and a new furling system - things do wear out!!

Hood will give you a great discount on a Hood 808 single line drive furling system.  Give them a call. You might want to read my Mainsheet tech note article on changing the standing rigging and installing a new Hood furling system!!

A few thoughts    
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 13, 2013, 05:31:39 AM
I'd have a good professional rigger inspect it.  The wire is probably OK.  The damage being so close to the fitting, the fitting may be damaged.  That would be my concern.  Seeing the boats age, if the rig hasn't been checked recently, it's time.
Think this was done when the mast was unsteped this time?  Or has it been like this?  I belive that when the headstay is tentioned the wire would straighten and be less noticible.
Jim

The problem is that SS does not take kindly to bending and straightening.  Not even a little bit.  And right there at the fitting is a "hard spot" that makes it even tougher on the wire.  On my C25 with a swing keel, the wire to raise the keel had a swaged fitting just like that.  It broke twice at the fitting due to not having a toggle where it connected to the keel and from just the slightest movement of the keel while on the mooring.  Like I said I would definitely replace it.  And you do want to figure out why it happened so you can prevent it from happening again.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Guys : Usually when a head stay wire gets "unlayed" like shown - is because at some time there was a bind in the furling system and when bound the power of the head sail rollered out (probably out of control).  
This caused the (bound) outside wires to be come unlayed from the twisting in the opposite direction than the cable was made.

Just change the head stay, you surely have gotten your $$ after 24 seasons!!

Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Everytime the weather picks up, or you push the boat hard you will be looking up and wondering if it is OK.  Change it out and sleep better.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario