Interesting fix for rudder play

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Just saw this advertised by Catalina Direct -  a method to "inject" new rudder bearings!.  A mixture of epoxy and graphite is injected into the rudder tube while the rudder is installed.   Still requires rudder removal before-hand, to wax the rudder shaft so it doesn't stick to the injected epoxy.  Sounds easier than other fixes.....if it works.   And what do you do if the wax doesn't work????  :cry4`  Wish I saw this when I had my rudder off last year.  Has anyone tried this or anything similar? 

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2791 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Jim Hardesty

Similar.  Helped a friend when he used epoxy and graphite mix to take the play from the center board pivot from his 39' Pearson.  That was 6 or 7 seasons ago.  It worked very well and has held up.
I think that it would be a real good rudder fix. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Bob : I saw the same add.  Not too sure about it and if it's a long term fix??

I'm sure that you have seen my posts/Mainsheet articles on how I (recommended by Gerry Douglas) cut strips of drafting film (5 & 7 mil) strips and slid them between the stainless column and the PVC tube.  This way the strips cause about a 5" long "wearing surface" rather than a narrow epoxy bead to wear on.

Did that way back in the mid 90s and just redid it again last spring. Takes out all the lateral play.  

To cut out vertical play I sanded down another nylon bearing and inserted it under the emergency rudder cap.  

A few thoughts - for fixes that Work Great!
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

When the boat was new I installed a zerk fitting in the upper and lower rudder tubes.  Each spring a few squirts of boat trailer wheel bearing grease keeps the wear away.
Its probably never too late to do the right thing.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677