Recommendation for new Napa electric fuel lift pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Tashahacker

Hi Catalina Owners,

We're currently in George Town, Bahamas and have decided not to take our boat back to Fort Lauderdale for the hurricane as originally planned and are, instead, carrying on towards Grenada.

But that decision has meant we are tracking down a number of spares to make sure we get there in maximum comfort and safety.

And recently we've been noticing our fuel lift pump has been making an odd sound. So we wanted to have a spare on hand in case it ever goes, or if we want to replace it before it goes.

We have a Universal M-25 diesel engine, and the current lift pump we have is a Facet. As far as I can tell, these have been replaced in later years by Napa fuel pumps.

I've tracked down a Napa dealer in Fort Lauderdale who can give me either a Napa 6101-1076 lift pump or a Napa -6101-1074. The only difference is the 1076 is 6-8 psi and the 1074 is 4.5-5 psi. And they both do 30 gallons an hour (I think that's what the dealer said).

Does anyone know which one would be the preferred pump, or do you have any other tidbits of info or recommendations about replacing our fuel lift pump?

Thanks for your help,

Tasha (Turf to Surf)
s/v Hideaway
Tasha Hacker
www.turftosurf.com

Stu Jackson

Either will work.  If you can get a Facet replacement, that would be better.  here's why:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2515.15.html

Or you could get two Napas, just to be sure.  Actually, you could get a fuel pump from an auto parts store and do just as well.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tashahacker

Aha. I thought the Napa was the replacement for Facet...if the Facet pumps still exist, does anyone know which model is the best replacement?
Tasha Hacker
www.turftosurf.com

Jim Hardesty

Here is what and where I got it for my 2001.
http://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/mechanical-supplies/fuel-pumps/facet-solid-state-electric-fuel-pump-40185/prod_23424.html
Perfect fit.   Only thing I did was add a wire connector.  BTW the engine would run with the bad pump, just would not get up to full RPM.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

For anyone needing to replace, I uploaded a few aftermarket models that will substitute on both M-25/XP and B series engines.)

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Fuel

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Tasha : As Stu mentioned, either one of the Facet pumps will work.

If you keep the tank over half, gravity will feed enough fuel and keep the engine running without a lift pump (in a MK 1 C34)!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Dave DeAre

When the lift pump failed on my 2002 34 MK II, the engine would not run, the tank was full. Replaced the pump and it started right up.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

chuck53

What kind of noise is it making?  I had the same issue, my pump making a funny noise so I replaced it with a new Facet.  The new pump made the same noise.  It dawned on me it was probably air in the line from replacing the filter.  I turned on the ignition and after 15-20 seconds, the chattering noise I was getting soon slowed down to the usual tic...tic...tic.  Started the engine and with just a few seconds of running rough, it quickly smoothed out and ran great.
I had already trashed my old pump...I'm sure it was fine and would have made a good backup.

Check out my old thread and thanks to Ken for steering me in the right direction.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8455.0.html

Ron Hill

Dave : Sorry, I meant in a C34 MK 1 with an M25 or M25XP engine!! 

The C34 MKII with the M35BC engine is a different "beast".  :think
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 01, 2015, 03:00:38 PM
Dave : Sorry, I meant in a C34 MK 1 with an M25 or M25XP engine!! 

The C34 MKII with the M35BC engine is a different "beast".  :think

The pump models I posted on the TW site include the ones for the B series engines.  Interestingly, Westerbeke seems to not have used a Facet pump on the M-25XPB -- many I hear have failed in FAR less time than what we experience with the Facets.  My OEM Facet is still going strong after only 30 years (so far) -- what a piece of crap pump, huh?

KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain