Installing Second Manual Bilge Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt

I'm investigating installing a second manual bilge pump that can be pumped from inside the cabin.   Probably will get the Whale Titan so that I can use same repair kit on the bilge pump near wheel.

I'd like to avoid boring another through-hull into my boat so am considering re-using the galley sink through-hull or one of the two existing bilge pump through-hulls.  All would be T'd and looped accordingly to ensure no cross or back-flow.

Anyone have any experience setting up a second manual pump inside cabin?  Where did you mount the pump?   

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kurt

Kevin Henderson

Hi Kurt,

My first reaction to your question was why?   :think  However, it is your boat and perhaps I'm the one that is shortsighted in not seeing the reason a person should need a second (manual) bilge pump inside the cabin.  It's an interesting question and one I have never really considered. 
I did a short Google search for other manual bilge pump installations aboard sailboats and really didn't come up with any results.  I did however see one suggestion that if it were my boat I would seriously give it some consideration. 
Why not use a manual bilge pump similar to the one linked below?  You can easily run the output hose into the sink and let the water drain away without having to install a second Whale pump and (cutting holes and figuring a place suitable for installation) and trying to tie it all into your existing thru hull. 
I understand this is probably not the answer to your question but it is one to consider.   :abd:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99138&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50632&subdeptNum=50633&classNum=50636#.UTbA0jAYiSo
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

kurt

Hi Kevin - Northern California minimum equipment standards for ocean racing require a permanently installed manual bilge pump of > 10 gpm operable inside the cabin.  Kurt

Kevin Henderson

Hi Kurt,

I just looked up the Northern California Offshore Racing Council Minimum Equipment Requirements and found what I think is the reference you are citing.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong) :thumb:

Quote5. At least one permanently installed manual bilge pump with capacity of at least 10 gallons per
minute operable with all hatch boards in place. Unless permanently installed, each bilge pump
handle shall be provided with a lanyard or catch or similar device to prevent accidental loss (3.23)

The way I read this requirement is that a permanently installed bilge pump (The one operated in the cockpit with handle attached by a lanyard) can be used to dewater the cabin with all of the hatch boards in place.

Intuitively this would make sense to me since if it was my boat and being in such a perilous situation, I would want the ability to have a single person at the helm, busily steering the boat to safety if possible, and signaling for help from the cockpit, and communicating over the radio AND... Pumping like a mad man on the bilge pump attempting to empty the water accumulating in the cabin. A person would basically be like a one legged man in an A$$ kicking contest...But it would be better than standing waste deep inside the cabin in water, away from the wheel and unable to signal or see rescuers.

BTW... Good on you for wanting to race in those waters up there.... I'm certain the officials are especially scrutinizing entries and their boats considering the unfortunate events of last year.  Have fun and most of all stay safe!!   :abd:

http://norcalorc.org/sites/default/files/NCORC%20Minimum%20Equipment%20Requirements%201.04.pdf
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

tonywright

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

kurt

Thanks.

This is an updated rule set:  http://norcalorc.org/sites/default/files/NCORC%20Minimum%20Offshore%20Requirements%201.06.pdf 

At least one permanently installed manual bilge pump with capacity of at least 10 gallons per minute operable with cabin closed.

Definitely looks like one needs to be careful using any below (at any time) the water-line through hulls.

Kurt