Stanchion Backing Plates

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

I am working on the East Coast and will be heading back home for some R&R shortly. Want to rebed all stanchions, bow and stern pulpits. Can somebody advise how many plates I will need to complete the job since I am 3,000 miles away from the Marina? Also is it the same plate for pulpits as stanchions? I would like to order these and have them waiting for me when I return as my time off is precious too little. Got the butyl tape already last year from Mainesail.

As always, thanks for your help!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Ron Hill

Kirk : There are 3 single and one double (braced) stanchions per side. 
The bases are all the same, but on each side you have a vented stanchion that needs a 3/4" hole for the hose connections.

Hope this helps
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Kirk,

One choice is to use backing plates.  The other choice is to simply use the same nuts & bolts that the factory did.  They're a whole bunch nuts & bolts to replace, but the butyl tape will keep them dry.  So, consider just using the bolts with washers down below, unless, of course, you insist on the backing plates.

From forward, one side only:

two pulpit bases
two (maybe only one) vertical stanchions
one double (the ones Ron mentioned)
two pushpit

To confirm, just go to the brochures section of the wiki and look 'em up.

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=History

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I made my own backing plates from aluminum bar stock. They made a HUGE difference in how sturdy the stanchions were.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Paulus

Kirk,
I used green board, made from fiberglass.  Torresen Marine uses this for backing plates.  It comes 1/4" to 1/2" thick.  I will try to attach a photo.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Kirk Garner

Hi Paul,

What are the advantages of using green board? Thanks to all for your help!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Ron Hill

Kirk : I had Bill Felgenhauer (Gaurhauer) make my backing plate out of stainless - many years ago.

They matched up PERFECTLY.  5/16" Lexan also works   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I did the same as Ron.  You need to call.  The backing plates arn't in the catalog.  I think that they just  sell the bottom plate used on the stantion for backing plates.  They were very resonably priced.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Kirk, I am not sure if there are any advantages.  I keep my boat at Torresen's Marine and they suggested I use this.  They commonly use this for backing plates. I was able to cut and drill the holes when I had the stanchions removed. I removed my stanchions in the fall, drilled out the holes, filled them with epoxy, and put it all back in the spring.  This process has been covered on our web site.  I also got rid of the vents in the stanchions at that time.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ralph Masters

Catalina Direct has the stainless ones for the vented stanchion and the non vented one too.
When I rebeded mine I just put the nuts and washers back on.
Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : Don't know for sure, but I can almost guarantee you that the backing plated from Catalina Direct are twice the $$ price from Gaurhauer Marine!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Catalina Direct didn't get "their" backing plates from Garhauer Marine !!
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

And that is why I just put the nuts and washers back on.  They were paid for already.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987