1/2 " sheet for headsail

Previous topic - Next topic

KINGAIR350

Hello,

A couple of questions getting away from 7/16" jib/headsail sheet to go with a 1/2" sheet used on a Lewmar 46 series , which / what kind is the most commonly used and lenght.One more question useing a Racor 24 series fuel filter set and would like to up grade to the Racor Turbine any suggestions on either questions ?

Any Help Would Be Greatley Appreciated.
Regards,
Kevin

Stu Jackson

Hi, Kevin, welcome to the board.

1/2" sheets:  NER Stay Set works just fine for us.  Sampson Ropes basic line is fine also.  No need for low strecth on any sheets, since they get adjusted all the time anyway.

Length depends on the size of your headsail:  the bigger the sail, the longer the sheet needs to be.

Filters:  two choices:  expensive housings and less expensive filters ($13) or the "standard" Racor housing and more (comparatively) expensive ($25)  filters themselves.  Not worth changing if what you have for a primary filter is working.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KINGAIR350

Stu
thanks for the info. i think ill stay with what i have ,but go with the NER Rope you mentioned .
Thanks Again

Ron Hill

Kevin : I used the 7/16" double braided Genoa sheet lines for years.  They had a tendency to fall out of the self tailors on the 46 Lemar winches.

Then I switched to the New England single braid polyester 1/2" and found that they were great.  Stay in the self tailors, are soft and don't hockle.

I'd stay with the Racor that you have.  If you want to do some replumbing of the fuel line that makes more sense than what you have : take the engine fuel filter & mount off the engine and mount it before the Racor.  The route the fuel from the Racor direct to the engine.  That will give you a courser/cheaper (10-15 micron) filter before the finer 10 or 2 micron expensive Racor filter. 
Just make sure that the fuel routing is from the tank to the filter(s), to the fuel pump and then to the engine.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788