Where did you install your battery charger

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

My boat doesn't have a battery charger.  Plan on installing one this season.  Where is a good place to install it.

Ralph Masters

When we bought our boat the charger was in the wet locker just aft of the nav table.  When I replaced it with a xantrex I put it back in the same locker, only moved it to the front by the door so it's easier to get to.  In that location I can hit it with the vacuum to clean out the air intake for the cooloing fan that sucks up dust.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

mregan

Thanks.  I was thinking the same spot but wasn't sure if there were other options.

Les Luzar

My battery charger is located under the nav station mounted on the upper right corner when looking under the nav table. I can see the state of charge in this position. When I bought my boat, this is the location of this charger. But in the wet locker is another common location.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kevin Henderson

My battery charger is located under the starboard dinette setee.  I works well for me there, although I probably need to provide some additional ventilation for it.  I have the Xantrex trucharge2 and remote monitoring indicators.  That spot can be such a difficult space to get to it seemed fine to me to have the charger there.    :abd:  
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Guys : Although some people have had some luck mounting a Xantrex chargers side ways, the Xantrex Company recommends that it be mounted vertically.  As you can see there are cooling fins(heat sync) on the sides for best air flow. 

Inadequate cooling is a factor to be considered.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Our old charger was located in the back-of-settee space just forward of the galley, thought most likely being closer to the battery box.  I ripped it out immediately because it was an old style charger.  After thoroughly investigating our options, I chose a Freedom 15 combined inverter/charger, located under the nav station "desk" on the outboard wall.  I could have placed it on the wall to the hanging locker, but back then (1998) the heavy 2/0 wiring was already internally connected to the unit and to reach the batteries I had to get it as close to the wall aft of the holding tank as we could.  Newer inverter charger combinations make you buy your own wiring.  I routed the wiring through that wall, across the bilge and into the battery box.

If you're going with a simple charger-only, I'd keep it outside for ventilation, rather than inside the hanging locker.  Many of us have installed shelving inside that locker.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Thanks everyone.  I'm leaning towards under the nav station.

efhughes3

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on February 13, 2013, 02:40:36 PM
My battery charger is located under the starboard dinette setee.  I works well for me there, although I probably need to provide some additional ventilation for it.  I have the Xantrex trucharge2 and remote monitoring indicators.  That spot can be such a difficult space to get to it seemed fine to me to have the charger there.    :abd:  

Mine is where Kevin's is, but mounted on the bulkhead forward of the water tank, at am angle. With the remote monitor, it is fine.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC