Battery Charger for 6 volt golf cart batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I have to replace my golf cart batteries(7yrs) and I would like some thoughts about the type of charger for these batteries.  The 4 golf cart batteries is wired as one battery.  I am using a Pro Marine charger and I am thinking about replacing the charger.  Would like some thoughts on this subject.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

chuck53

Just confirming....When you say wired as one battery, you mean wired in series/parallel so you are putting out 12 volts (actually 13+).  That's the way my boat is wired as well...4 for the house and one separate starting battery.

Ron Hill

Paul : I think most owners have wired 2 6v golf cart batteries in series forming a 12v bank and then wired the second set (also wired in series) as a second 12v bank. 
Guess you could then take those two smaller banks and wire them in parallel for one giant bank, if that's what turns you ON !?! 

I'd recommend that you purchase a Xantrex 40amp charger, which will do you a great job.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Yes, to both of you, they are wired in series/parallel.  One big battery and a separate starting battery.  Ron, is Xantrex 40amp the only one you would recommend.  Appreciate your input and experience.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : The Xantrex is the only battery charger I'd recommend. 
It's a "smart charger" and has great ratings from Practical Sailor and others.  I had a Xantrex True Charge 20 (8? yrs) and upgraded to a X True Charge 40!!
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Volk

Paulus,
Let me share my thoughts.  When I upgraded my batterey system I bought the Xantrex Truecharge 40 charger.  It did work fine while I had it.  It does have a fan in it that comes on everytime the charger comes on. Unfortunatley, nowhere in the directions does it say to make sure you constantly check to make sure the fan screen it clear of dust collection.  Being on a boat I didn't think much about heavy dust but I was wong as the unit overheated and shorted out due to air blockage on the fan input screen.  I called Xantrex regarding this and they were quit ambivolent about the problem, stating that they do not repair their old units and suggested that I just place an order for another one. The cost of this unit is not cheap and it lasted less than 3 years.
Also, the fan is fairly noisy, and staying on the boat in port at night, if the water happens to recycle and also every time the refrigerator recycles the fan and charger comes on topping off the batteries which is annoying when your trying to sleep.
Just some items to think about.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Paulus

Ron Volk, did you change to a different brand?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Volk

Paul,
Sorry that I can't help you with any of the newer products.  What I did was reinstall my old one at the time since it still worked and I didn't want to spend the extra money at the time for another new one.  The one I have is functional and is a three stage even though it is a lower amperage and takes a little longer to fully top off the batteries, it is serving me okay and is quiet. There was a posting some time ago that went over different chargers quite extensivley with a lot of good information from very knowledgeable people. Maybe you can do a search on 'battery chargers' and see what comes up.
Hope this helps.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Roc

Paul,
Search the Practcal Sailor report on battery chargers.  Xantrex True Charge 40 is what I have and it works fine.  They have a newer model, so you may want to check the latest produce line.  I seem to remember the Practical Sailor charger article didn't put the Xantrex as the best, but it was up there in preference.  There were other models that were slightly better.  Again, don't remember, but it's worth finding the article since a charger is a big expense.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Paul : It's too bad that Ron didn't read my Mainsheet article about making sure that you keep the "grate" on the fan clean.  It is mentioned in the owners manual.

I found that you can hear the fan kick in, but it's not that noisy as Ron leads a reader to believe.  I find it nice/reassuring to know that the charger is operating - by hearing the fan!!

My thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Thanks Ron, any ideas about the Charles 30A or the Iota chargers.  Trying to do some research before out sailing season starts in the Spring. 
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul and Guys : An easy solution to the "fan intake" was a filter! 
At Lowes I found a filter pad (thin but effective) that can easily be cut (w/scissors) to size and fits over the air intake.  The pad was made to put on the air outlets in your house.

I've tried a piece, cut it to size, found it works and would recommend for all to use it.  Most electronics are going to cooling fans so it seems the simplest way to avert a clogged air intake problem.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Paul,

1.  Xantrex products have gotten significantly worse since John Nixon wrote those excellent articles which are a sticky on this board.  I would caution you to stay away from Xantrex products.

2.  You might want to read the "Electrical 101" topics which are parts of the "101 Topics" sticky on this board.  There is a link to Maine Sail's excellent writeup of the Sterling Pro Charge Ultra:

Wiring a new charger From Maine Sail:  http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=136765
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Paulus,

You would be well served to look into the ProMariner Pronautic P or the Sterling ProCharge Ultra. These are excellent chargers that both carry a 5 year warranty. They are the same charger just developed jointly between Sterling and ProMariner. The Mastervolt chargers are also excellent. The new chargers from Blue Sea also look great but I have not installed one.

The Iota's are a very reliable work horse but a fairly "dumb" smart charger. They also lack UL Marine certifications. This is not to say they are bad just that someone like myself has to be cautious installing them..

The more expensive larger Charles chargers are decent products but I am not a big fan of the less expensive units. I won't get into any Xantrex bashing and all I will say is to please google Xantrex Problems... The older Xantrex stuff Heart Interface/Cruising Equipment etc. was decent but the newer stuff....well.......

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/installing_a_marine_battery_charger
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/