list to port

Previous topic - Next topic

bruja

even with all tanks full my 88 c34 lists to port.It amounts to about 3 inches at the waterline.  Has anyone else had the problem?  I assume it can only be corrected with ballast.  How much and where placed would be helpful info.

Stu Jackson

Bruja

Suggest you use the helpful webiste search engine.  If you use the main 'site engine, and type in port list, search for exact phrase, you get to:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-port-list.html

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jentine

When I first took delivery of Jentine in the spring of 1992, I noticed a port list and complained to the dealer.  Several months following my complaint, the dealer received several hundred pounds of ballast from Catalina Yachts for my boat, complete with instructions for how and where to install it.  It is a design flaw and they have a FIX.
Jim Kane

Tim W

three inches seems like a lot. 2" maybe. I don't think there is much to be done by moving things around internally. Several years ago, I looked at my boat hanging in the slings of the Travelift before it was launched. I could swear the keel is not on straight. It cants to Port! Other comments posted to this web site that there is no problem are BS! Maybe certain people want to belive that Catalina's are the best boat out there. They can believe what they want. With 5500# of lead on a wing keel, I think you're looking at 200-300 pounds to level things out- where can you put that kind of weight to level it out. You would have to remove the Starboard water tank. Just learn to live with it and love it.

Tim W.

bruja

Many thanks to those who responded.  Further info- I measured the distance from rail to water on both sides:45" on starboard, 41 on port.  All tanks full.  My l00 lb girlfriendstanding on the starboard rail makes a difference of only about 3/8 inches.  I'm glad to hear that Catalina made a study of 25 34s at Marina del Rey, but we'd need to know the status of tankage, etc to make that study definitive, I'll contact Catalina.  AT any rate, it seems that I'm not the only one.  Other loading on Bruja is moderately equivalient, certainly within the range of  a person on one side of the boat or the other.  Many thanks!!