Getting back into the sailing/boating swing of things...

Previous topic - Next topic

efhughes3

Well, it was a unique last quarter of the year, to say the least. Starting with ongoing ludicrous business travel, then the death of our beloved dog, then 2 weeks later (and the most significant) the passing of my stepson (absolutely the worst thing that can happen-my wife has done remarkably well), selling one house and buying another (downsizing and moving closer to the coast), and the resulting move (the last one!), it made for a whirlwind of emotions and a huge drain on everyone. We came out of it stronger and more thankful, for sure.

Now, it's a new year, and attention gets put back on the boat! Our last sail was late September before all of the tragedy. On that outing, I filled up with diesel. The next time I was able to even look at the boat in late December, I had diesel in the bilge. I assumed it was a hose, tank fitting or leak at the tank. I got all the diesel out and left it, checking periodically to find trace amounts. I went down last week, ready to tear into inspection of the fuel tank, but opened up the engine compartment and saw a slight pink trail. A quick start of the motor showed a small leak in one of the fuel lines going to the fuel filter-talk about being happy. The coincedence of happening when I filled up made me quickly ASSUME the worst, but in hindsight, I remember motoring quite a bit that day, due to low wind strength.

So, this week is replacement of that line, inspection/replacement of all others, oil and trans change, new coolant, new impellers and general early spring maintenance. Early Feb will see new varnish (I'm outsourcing that-time is precious these days) and a haulout for bottom paint and a new thru-hull for the Tack Tick sender, so I can install the instruments I've had on the shelf for months.

Then, new dodger canvas, as one of the seams is letting go, and it's time.

So, here's to a much better 2013, and one that will see us using our "beach house" a lot more!  :thumb:
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

waterdog

Ed.   Very sorry for your loss.

Your on the right track.   Sailing heals.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat