boom preventer

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I am looking for suggestions on boom preventer (unintended jibe preventer) set ups. What works best on our boats ?

waterdog

You want control from the cockpit.  We replaced the pins on the aft shrouds at the chainplates with shackles with a half inch pin and run a line from the boom through the schackle and aft to a cleat.  Easilly released from the cockpit. Dead simple and effective. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

shan : What I did was to put a snap shackle on the bottom half of the aft lower turnbuckle on each side.

I then attach the "preventer" (a 4:1 block & tackle) to the prevelent side snap shackle, when going wing on wing (as a just in case!).  

You can also do the same with a "quick link".  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Hey Waterdog, can we get a pic of that?  and where do you attach to the boom?  I can't picture this!!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

waterdog

Quote from: Indian Falls on January 22, 2013, 06:21:28 PM
Hey Waterdog, can we get a pic of that?  and where do you attach to the boom?  I can't picture this!!

Hmmm. No pictures, sorry.   It is just a horseshoe shaped shackle with a half inch diameter pin.  The pin goes through where the clevis pin was and tle loop sticks out from the base of the chainplate.  Very strong.  I have a line with an eyesplice where I throw a hitch over the end of the boom, forward to the shackle and back to a cleat.  The way i use a preventer i have no need for mechanical advantage or even a block for that matter. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Dan : There should be a bale on the boom in front of the block nearest the mast. 

Attach the "preventer" to that bale.
Ron, Apache #788

PK

We went with Wichard's Jibeasy.  While not technically a preventer it pretty much does the same thing.  It works like a climbing friction device, so with enough loops thru the device and enough tension it will keep the boom where you want it, but with enough pressure it should theoretically let the boom come across if you were knocked down or something catastrophic happened.  We lead one side back to the cockpit so it could be let go or tightened from the cockpit if needed, and attached the device to the aft most bale on the boom.  Ran the the line from the aft shround turnbuckle thru the device to the other aft turnbuckle with a block attached to it and then back to the cockpit.  The downside is that in light air you need to loosen it, or you will need to push the boom around by hand.  It has its flaws but has worked for us so far.