Emergency engine start

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi All,

Have a question, one of my fear is to have to start engine in an emergency time.
Like waking up and ancor has drag, and going to it some rocks...
Get the glow plug switch on, count 1,2,3,.....20 push start and it does not of course. 
Count again, 1,2.....  Boy those second must be like minute each.

Is this something that ever happen to someone ??

So, this is on the spring to do, check glow plug.  Because I always have to hold it long.  Or do it twice.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Craig Illman

Patrice - If it hasn't already been done, do the glow plug solenoid conversion. This will deliver more amps to the glow plugs and shorten the warm up interval. Next, check to make sure all three glow plugs are functioning. They're not that expensive to replace if you get an aftermarket glow plug or visit a Kubota dealer.

Craig

Ron Hill

Pat : If you have the solenoid upgrade to your glow plug circuit like Craig recommends, you only need to engage the glow plugs for 6 -10 seconds!!  A

An easy place to attach that solenoid is to the bolt that holds the HX bracket to the bell housing!!

Look in Projects,WiKi or the Mainsheet tech notes for the "How To".  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi All,

Yes I have to make the upgrade, cause I have to hold the glow plug switch for at least 20sec.
Otherwise it doesn't start.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Footloose

Patrice,

Where on the lake are you?  We are in Malletts Bay.  We send the winter on the hard at the Moorings, and summer at the boat club.

This is an easy upgrade.  It is all done with wires. :thumb:
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

patrice

Hi Dave,

We are more up north in Mounty's Bay.
Mallet's is very nice.  We go there a few thime during our short season.

Yes, this is what I've been reading in the upgrades that it should be a good and not to hard upgrade to be made.
We got the boat last summer, so, we go with a few upgrade here and there.
But this is something that I found worst and worst, having to wait so loong before the engine would start.
So with this upgrade, it should be a lot better.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Footloose

We are familiar with Monty Bay as we go to  Deep Bay and then walk over for supplies and ice.  Nice marina.

Another source of your starting issues may be the lugs on the wiring.  If they are the original cut them off and crimp and solder new one on.  Don't forget the connections on the engine and behind the nav station.   Cover with shrink tubing.  A small amout of resistance translates to a huge power loss at the high current draw of the starter.

Launch is only five months away.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The biggest issue with ground problems is the connection of the cable from the main ground buss to the lug connection on the engine, the engine connection being the most prone to loose or corroded connection. Check this one first.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

patrice

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on January 16, 2013, 11:41:57 AM
The biggest issue with ground problems is the connection of the cable from the main ground buss to the lug connection on the engine, the engine connection being the most prone to loose or corroded connection. Check this one first.

Mike

Hi,
Good point too, since I found a few crimp that was not good anymore behind the elect panel.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Craig Illman

I agree completely with Dave & Mike. The factory crimps on the ground cable at the engine block was extermely marginal on my 1991. I wound up replacing the factory four gauge wiring to the engine with a combination of one or two gauge.

Craig

Ron Hill

Guys : I soldered all my battery connection, both the + & - on day 2 back in 1989 and have NEVER had a problem !!!   
I've written and post this Many, Many times before.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

I replaced all my glow plugs from a local auto company called GTC.  They are NKG, same as I got one time from Kuboto, at less than half the price, and MUCH cheaper what they wanted from catalina.   they were around 6 bucks apiece. also the solenoid upgrade is a must, I turn the key, count for about 8 seconds and it starts.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Guys : On the solenoid modification for the glow plugs (instead of the power going all the way to the key switch and then back to the glow plugs) make sure you use at least 8 gauge marine grade wire.

On my new engine I used 6 gauge wire for that run!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Do you have the trailer plugs in the harness or has the wiring upgrade been done?
Mine starts in 5 seconds of glow on a regular 70-80 degree day.  It did before the wiring change and does after with no glow plug relay.   You could have a bad glow plug... or low compression.  Not that I'm a diesel mechanic.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?