Sailing from Great Lakes to East Coast via St Lawrence Seaway

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone sailed from the Great Lakes out to the East Coast via the St Lawrence Seaway?

If yes, please give details.
0 (0%)
If no, please give details
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Tom Lindrup

I have searched our site but could not come up with any of our members detailing a trip from Lake Ontario out the St Lawrence Sea Way and then down the East Coast of the US. I am considering this route the spring and summer of 2015.
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake

Jim Hardesty

I have not.  Every one that I know of that went south from the Great Lakes used the Erie Canal to the Hudson then NY city.  All enjoyed the trip.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dave Spencer

Tom,
I have a friend who sailed the route you are describing all the way to the Bahamas a couple of years ago.  He just returned home to our marina in Lion's Head on Georgian Bay earlier this summer.  He departed from Hamilton Ontario, out the St Lawrence Seaway, around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and then down the American east coast.  He did it in a Hughes 40 ketch. Before the trip, he had his boat trucked from Lion's Head to Hamilton which is closer to his home where he was able to more easily complete some mods to the boat before the trip.
He is not on this discussion group but I'll see if he is interested in getting in touch with you.  I'm imagine he will be keen to chat.  Send me a note at spencerdd <at> gmail <dot> com with your contact info and hopefully I can put you in touch.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Tom Lindrup

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on January 02, 2013, 04:38:55 PM
I have not.  Every one that I know of that went south from the Great Lakes used the Erie Canal to the Hudson then NY city.  All enjoyed the trip.
Thanks, yes this is the route most of my freinds have taken from the Great Lakes so I am trying to gather information on the other route to see if it is too aggressive for a C34.
Tom
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com

Tom Lindrup

Quote from: Dave Spencer on January 02, 2013, 07:01:39 PM
Tom,
I have a friend who sailed the route you are describing all the way to the Bahamas a couple of years ago.  He just returned home to our marina in Lion's Head on Georgian Bay earlier this summer.  He departed from Hamilton Ontario, out the St Lawrence Seaway, around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and then down the American east coast.  He did it in a Hughes 40 ketch. Before the trip, he had his boat trucked from Lion's Head to Hamilton which is closer to his home where he was able to more easily complete some mods to the boat before the trip.
He is not on this discussion group but I'll see if he is interested in getting in touch with you.  I'm imagine he will be keen to chat.  Send me a note at spencerdd <at> gmail <dot> com with your contact info and hopefully I can put you in touch.
Hi Dave, that would be great if you can get some details on how he felt the conditions were. It would also be nice to get his opinion on trying to do this with  a C34. His boat souinds very sturdy and more of a long distance cruiser than our coastal cruising C34's.
Thanks for your help,
Tom
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com