HX Pencil Zink

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

I was getting ready to replace the HX zink and when I unscrewed the pulg the old zink is broken off inside the HX.  What is the best way to get that out??  Can you get to it by removing the end plate??

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

2ndwish

Ralph -How do you know it is broken off? We have pulled the zinc and found  flush plugs but that is because the zinc is completely gone. There might be little bits and pieces in there, but small bits an pieces will not last long in the HX environment.

Ralph Masters

2nd,
I can't get the new zink in and if I put my finger in the hole I can feel the bottom of the old zink stuck in there.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : Sure you can take off an end cap and get the Zn debris out of the HX.

I'd get ahold of Glenn-Mar marine in Largo Fl (800-282-0123) and for a few dollars get a new end cap(#5373), rubber washer and rubber gasket(#0332) for 3in HX.  The gasket which I've found is not easily to reuse again was only $1.50!!

I found the Glen-Mar cost is over 1/2 of what a Universal dealer charges!!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

I had a similar problem.  Different in that I could touch the zinc, which was not connected.  I took a paper towel and dried off the end, then balled up a bunch of duct tape.  I pressed in the duct tape and carefully pulled the zinc out!  It took a couple of tries, but it worked.  Perhaps you might luck out also?  Good luck.
Scotty

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

SD,
It kinda sounds like the last time the zinc was changed, it was too long and broke when tightened down. Either Ron or Stu's trick was to insert a pencil to measure the depth so you can use the proper length zinc.
You might try a long sheet rock screw to see if that would catch but it might just crumble the soft material  of the zinc. Another thought is to try a wet vac and try to suck it out. Good luck.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Thanks for the part numbers and contact information for the end caps and gaskets, that was going to be my next search.

I'll give the dry wall screw trick a shot and see if I can get the thing worked out.

Thanks for the help,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

2ndwish

May be a silly question but, do you actually need to get it out? It will continue to do its job until eroded (corroded?). When its out of the way, put a new one in?

MarkT

IMHO
Take the HX out, remove the end caps and clean it out gently. Mine was full of all kinds of crud and cleaning it made a big difference. Not a big job and well worth the effort.

Mark Tamblyn

SailingJerry

Here is a great website for cleaning out the HX.   http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/heat_exchanger
There is also a previous thread about repainting it.
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Ted Pounds

Quote from: 2ndwish on December 26, 2012, 06:07:05 PM
May be a silly question but, do you actually need to get it out? It will continue to do its job until eroded (corroded?). When its out of the way, put a new one in?

Actually  it will not work as it needs to have a good (electrically conductive) connection to the metal in the HX.  Which is why you shouldn't put anything on the threads of the plug either...

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

2nd : As Ted said "it won't do any good if not connected" and it could possibly clog the exit of the raw water inside the HX!!   
That could be a real overheating problem - if clogged.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Happy New Year Ron,
The clogging part is really my main concern.  I ordered the new end caps and gaskets you sent the numbers for yesterday, the folks at Glen-Mar were very helpful, only charged me double when I mentioned your name.
See what I find when I open it up next week, have done several hour long engine transits this month and no heating problems so I am still good in that department.

Happy New Year to all the 34 readers/owners out there,

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987